PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Am about to place an orderfor a custom pipe from Moretti, but am hesitating. Another forum member had some kind of nightmare involving Fedex at customs, because it was a tobacco product, if I have the story straight. Marco at Moretti tells me he has a contract with Fedex for his shipping. I just don't want to pay for the pipe and then have it confiscated like a pocket knife at the airport !!

Any experiences with this anyone ?

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I would suggest asking them to use DHL instead, even if you have to pay a few dollars more in shipping. I just received a pipe from italy via DHL no problem. ORder placed late in the afternoon on a Thursday, package arrived mid morning on Monday. No issues at all.
My understanding of the issue with FedEx is not that they will confiscate it, but may treat it as tobacco and impose a substantial tax on it.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I exclusively collect Moretti's and have approximately 50, all shipped by FedEx. Not one problem, but you usually have to sign for the package upon receipt. If you are not going to be home on the delivery date, you can have the package held at a holding facility and pick it up on your own time.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
All of my FedEx Moretti packages have gone through customs and been released and shipped with no issues. Buy with confidence, and enjoy!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Maybe just ask him not to declare it as a 'tobacco pipe', but as a 'briar pipe/collective item' instead? It's a truthful description that avoids the ugly T word.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I exclusively collect Moretti's and have approximately 50, all shipped by FedEx. Not one problem, but you usually have to sign for the package upon receipt. If you are not going to be home on the delivery date, you can have the package held at a holding facility and pick it up on your own time.
Yeah, Hold at Location is a great, free service, and I used it a lot back when I was receiving a lot of packages that had to be signed for. You just have them address it as such and choose a FedEx location (Shipping Center, FedEx Office, etc.) convenient to you and then you can stop in and pick it up at your convenience. A lot of the FedEx Office locations have later hours, too. You can actually request the service online from the tracking page after it's been sent, but before it goes out for delivery as well.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I just ordered my first Moretti from ebay yesterday. Received an email this morning it has shipped. FedEx site shows it listed as a briar pipe for collection and I do not see a signature required. Scheduled to arrive Monday.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
The key for shipping with any International courier is to remove the word tobacco from the description. Have Marco declare the item as "briar pipe, made in Italy".
I have had no issues with packages declared as above. Once the word "tobacco" is used the whole thing changes. Do make sure that it is declared as made in Italy!! I did have one package held, until the shipper declared the items country of origin.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

tidalwave

Lurker
Jul 9, 2019
Al Pascia overnighted (their own choice, I didn't request it) my recent Churchwarden birthday present via FedEx, it arrived perfectly in less than 24 hours.

Jun 23, 2019
Don't sweat it @mngslvs, I've ordered a ton of stuff from Marco and never had a problem with shipping. Unlike some other European shippers who try to save a few bucks, Marco offers a very reasonably priced 2nd Day Air basically. I'm in a "shipping hub" city so I got mine within 48 hours but your mileage may vary a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.