Problems Smoking Makes Me Want to Quit (UPDATE)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Here is my update. The bottom of my bowl still producing so much moisture it is impossible to complete the bowl. I have even gone as far as running a pipe cleaner after ever 3 puffs and this has had a minor affect on the outcome also two of my pipes are bent and the pipe cleaner does not make it all the way. Here is the original post. Please read before commenting.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/problems-smoking-makes-me-want-to-quit
Things that I have notice since original post. Member MMcob sent me a cob. Much appreciate this however has not solved my problem. However there is a clear orange stem on the cob and I can clearly see a large amount of moisture built up in the stem. Not sure why. I have tried packing a little tighter (as recommended) the problem with this is because of the moisture buildup the tobacco becomes hard half way down and it is impossible to properly tamp. I have had to resort to smoke less than a half of a bowl to prevent wasting tobacco. However there is still moisture built up at the bottom. Another point to note is when I am smoking less than half of the bowl it appears that the inside walls of the bowls are sweating and this moisture is immediately building up after lighting this is the case with all 5 of my pipes which include 2 meers. I am not enjoying this process anymore. It has gotten to the point that sometimes after lighting the pipe about 5 minutes later I can hear the moisture steaming.

In December I will be taking two of my pipes to get the draft wholes bigger. It is the only thing I haven’t tried.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Sorry to hear it ETtrav. If it's not excess humidty or wet aros, then I would blame the pipes or possibly your technique. Read up on various packing techniques and try each one very carefully.
Or maybe invest in one really fine pipe.
I have a couple of pipes that always smoke down to ash with little effort. None of my others do this with such consistency. These pipes are my Dunhill ODB and my latest purchase, a Peterson Kapp Royal 106. SP has two of them for sale right now:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/index.cfm?tag=Kapp%20Royal
EDIT: if you do, I would go for the lighter weight one:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=130534

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Spend the money and get a peterson system pipe. Problem solved. Much cheaper to buy from UK pipe shops even with the shipping.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I own 2 Ser Jacopos, 1 Il Ceppo, 1 Mario Grandi, and 1 S.Yanik Meer. I doubt it is the quality of my pipes.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I don't think it's the pipes, or the humidity or the tobacco.
I hate to break it to you, Eastern, but it's you. Pack better, smoke slower, practice, practice, practice.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I used to have the same problem. Then one day I was doing something else, so I clenched my pipe and realized that I was sipping it very lightly. Before no matter how much I tried to slow down, I had still been puffing on my pipe. After learning to really just sip on it, the problem all but disappeared.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Try drying out some tobacco and smoke a bit slower. I have this problem from time to time with a freshly opened tin. I will let the amount of tobacco I want to smoke sit out for about an hour before I smoke it and it seems to cure that issue. I also dont live in a humid climate. Good luck, and dont give up! Us pipers must stay strong!

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Are you clenching (holding) the pipe with your teeth?
Do you keep the pipe in your mouth like Popeye?
When you go to your dentist, do they place two suction hoses in your mouth?
When you wake up is your pillow completely soaked?
Maybe your pipe is filling up with your own spit, drool, moist exhale, what ever term does not hurt your self esteem.
Try holding the pipe in your hand and lightly puffing, drawing, sucking, what ever term does not challenge your manliness.
If it is still a problem, cigars are always another form of nicotine delivery.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I said this on the original thread and stand by it: it's got to be saliva moving through the stem towards the bowl. Time and practice may solve this. But in the meantime I would recommend not drinking while smoking, using a pipe cleaner as much as necessary, and smoking a straight pipe (not clenching). I think many newer pipe smokers go through a version of what you're experiencing and unfortunately your experience is just more acute. One other suggestion: hold the pipe while sipping and just barely touch the stem to your lips.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Dont stress over it. Let it dry for a few minutes longer pack looser and relax. Over thinking and over expectations will cause frustrations.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have to agree with everyone that said the following:
-Don't pack it tight. (Loosely pack it and don't mash it all in. It needs room to breathe.)

-Sip, don't puff like a train. (This is probably the main culprit. I puffed on the pipe like a locomotive and burnt the hell out of my tongue and always had a gurgle. Sip it like you would a straw.)

-Let the tobacco dry beforehand. (Good advice, not all blends need drying, but if it feels moist and/or sticky, let it sit out for a bit.)

-Relax. (Pipe smoking is/should be about relaxing. Don't get frustrated, just keep trying.)

-Get a better pipe. (My first pipe -a hunk of junk Chinese piece of plastic with a metal bowl insert- is resting peacefully in the dump. I cannot recommend briar enough. Do NOT get anything brylon either. I'm not a cob smoker, but Meerschaum is highly recommended by others.)
Keep at it. It'll come, it just takes practice and plenty of forum reading. Don't give up, I'm glad I didn't after my first three day battle with tongue bite over a crap pipe and train puffing.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
As a moist smoker myself it took time to get the technique right. Now I have reached the stage in which I can clench all my pipes in my mouth without getting the tobacco wet and dribbling down the stem of my pipe. Keep it up, and do what the others suggest, look at different techniques of smoking.etc. I also concur with BryanF on the peterson system.

henryp

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
Chicago
There is something like a coriolis force ( but not that) that draws saliva into the stem as you smoke. The harder you draw the harder that force draws what's in your mouth into the stem. Smoking easier, slower will probably improve your experience.
good luck!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
If you're letting them rest enough, then I have to agree with Bigvan:
I hate to break it to you, Eastern, but it's you. Pack better, smoke slower, practice, practice, practice.
Even if you've been smoking a while, it pays to revisit the basics. I had to do this myself. For a while I was doing fine, then regressed. I was rushing too much, not paying attention, etc. It takes a while for good habits to really set in to the point where you no longer have to think about it.
Good luck - hope you keep at it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'm only 8 hours from you, similar humidity, your tobacco is probably too wet. This was the last part of the technique to get down, maintaining the proper moisture level. I don't even really get gurgling now. doesn't matter what pipe I'm smoking, if it's my medico briar or my peterson, once you have the technique down pretty much any pipe will do. Plus pack on the looser side, if you aren't getting a draw similar to sipping through a coffee straw, it's too tight.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
[/quote]Plus pack on the looser side, if you aren't getting a draw similar to sipping through a coffee straw, it's too tight.
Who drinks coffee with a straw?

nhbard

Lurker
Sep 19, 2013
Another new smoker here. I found the advice given here interesting, but confusing based on my own experience. I had a heck of a time getting and staying lit until I did the opposite of what is said here (caveat later - keep reading).
When I packed very tight and puffed "like a train" it worked. Most other things did not. This was yesterday. Once I got it to stay lit, I could sip it a bit rather than puff, but I still had to give it the occasional puff.
Caveat: The only other difference I did yesterday was I filled the bowl almost completely. Prior to that I would half fill or less. Don't know if that had any effect. But still - you recommend a loose pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.