PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Well, I am a bit alarmed and sad yet hopeful for this new pipe of mine. I got it from tobaccopipes just over a month ago. I have been super careful with it, kept it clean, smoked cool, etc ...but, it seems there is a small hole right around the bottom of the bowl/stummel area. This area was previously covered with wax and I could not see it.

I thought it was a deep 'pit' but I put a lil spit there and blew threw the bowl with the stem covered...aaand it bubbled.

I know meerschaum is porous, but is that normal? What can I do??

ALTINAY1.jpgALTINAY2.jpg

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I don't think it will widen, if anything, it will clog with tars and cake as you use the pipe. If it smokes like a dream, just keep on keeping on.
Nice looking pipe, congrats!!

Thanks Cosmic! I really like that approach. I might even get some beeswax and plug 'er back up. Meer is such a new substance to me, my brain wants to think of it like a crack in wood that will get bigger over time... For now, I think I will smoke another bowl to help along clogging process. Cheers!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have only one Meer, so I am not a good source, but I'd be amazed if this pinhole ever caused a problem. It will probably clog with smoking. I thought of closing it with a spot of super glue or something similar, but Meer is tricky, and that might cause a process and problem. I think leave it alone and smoke happily along. You'll forget about it, and it will likely never come to anything..

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I have only one Meer, so I am not a good source, but I'd be amazed if this pinhole ever caused a problem. It will probably clog with smoking. I thought of closing it with a spot of super glue or something similar, but Meer is tricky, and that might cause a process and problem. I think leave it alone and smoke happily along. You'll forget about it, and it will likely never come to anything..

Sounds like a good plan! Thanks man!

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
It will be interesting to see how that one colors. If it looks cool...I may start drilling holes in mine.
I am amazed at how fast it has started coloring. I have been smoking maybe 7-8 bowls out of it a week and it's coming along real nicely. ...kinda makes sense that there might be small pits/holes I guess, it's a natural product after all

Yeah I agree with everyone here. Though trying to close it might cause problems you know with this expanding and contracting at different rates. So I'd leave it alone and keep enjoying the dream pipe.
Right, if it ain't broke...I put that little bit of wax there just to calm my obsessive mind but don't think it'll have much effect besides smoothing out the appearance. As long as that thing doesn't grow bigger I am more than happy to just let 'er be!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am amazed at how fast it has started coloring. I have been smoking maybe 7-8 bowls out of it a week and it's coming along real nicely. ...kinda makes sense that there might be small pits/holes I guess, it's a natural product after all

Right, if it ain't broke...I put that little bit of wax there just to calm my obsessive mind but don't think it'll have much effect besides smoothing out the appearance. As long as that thing doesn't grow bigger I am more than happy to just let 'er be!
I do not imagine wax could be bad on it. If it was it would be pretty bad since they like putting wax on them.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Might just be a small inclusion that popped out... Altinay might be the best one to get an answer from.

I would guess that if it doesn’t go all the way through it shouldn’t be an issue. But I’m not an expert in the facets and what have you’s of Meerschaum.

I am amazed at how fast it has started coloring.
It's probably very porous.

I've seen briars that have holes in the birdseye, and after caking up, they will oooz a black puss of tar out of the hole. I'm not saying that this will happen, but I do know that guys who've had these types of pipes usually say that the pipe smokes like a dream. So, it may just be a trade off. oooz for smoking ability.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Might just be a small inclusion that popped out... Altinay might be the best one to get an answer from.

I would guess that if it doesn’t go all the way through it shouldn’t be an issue. But I’m not an expert in the facets and what have you’s of Meerschaum.
I agree, it seems very 'okay' and not like a crack/stress or anything like that. I tagged him in a comment, I'd be interested to gain his insight!

It's probably very porous.

I've seen briars that have holes in the birdseye, and after caking up, they will oooz a black puss of tar out of the hole. I'm not saying that this will happen, but I do know that guys who've had these types of pipes usually say that the pipe smokes like a dream. So, it may just be a trade off. oooz for smoking ability.

I am happy to deal with a bit of ooze in exchange for a smooth smoke! I think I was partly so surprised to notice this anomaly because it's such a nice smoker and well made pipe overall. ...gives it a bit of character!

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around
@Said.ALTINAY Any tips for plugging a small hole like this? I do not think this is anyone's fault(!!), the pipe smokes like a dream. I just wonder if the pin hole will stay the same or if this might grow over time.
Hello @kg.legat0
I'm sorry you encountered such a problem.
As you know meerschaum is a natural material and can contain natural imperfections like briar(pits).
This pit one of them and we had probably overlooked after waxed because of filled with wax.
And as the wax melted while smoking, the pit has reappeared.

But you should know that it not expands or crack. Or not affect smoking quality or performance.
And you don't need to do anything. It will clogged with tar in time. No worry.
Enjoy your smoke in meerschaum!

Status
Not open for further replies.