PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I went by my B&M today and bought out their last remaining Dunhill stock (about a dozen tins), minus a couple tins of Durbar (I've never had it, so why get into it now?). The owner gave me a good discount, so I sprung for it.
Why did I do it? I don't know. I'm not a Dunhill-phile, and none of their blends are my favorite in their respective genre. I guess it's mostly nostalgia- mainly I just hate the idea of not having any Dunhill laying around.
Anybody else have similar feelings? Dunhill has been such an institution for so long, I can't help but ascribe a certain value to it. I know the blends have changed over the years, and many of them are pretty average now, but goshdarnit, they just have a special place in my cellar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hap, that's TAD, not PAD. TAD is tobacco, PAD is pipes (Acquisition Disorder is the AD in either case). Well, good for you. You're set for months or years, depending on how often you open the tins. Congratulations.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
It sad when blenders go, particularly ones so iconic as Dunhill but I guess it's just a sign of the times. IMO most of Dunhill's blends are solid smokes maybe not the best in their genre but good smokes that are always available.
I'll miss flake and navy rolls, I might be well stocked on both but nice to think I could always buy a tin if I needed too.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Likewise, I bought enough to last my lifetime - seemed like the thing to do at the time - I guess that's TAD

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ahh TAD strikes again - why buy one tin if you can just buy them all?
As others have said in other threads, even if you don't like Dunhill blends you can easily recoup your money in the next few years from their sales.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Remember the good old days when you could buy 2 or 3 tins and get one free of Dunhill? I'm deep enough on Nightcap, Navy Rolls and Royal Yacht that my grandkids will have a lifetime supply.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'll miss Dunhill as an icon and mainstay of the pipe world. I did buy five pounds of Nightcap to cellar in mason jars, plus a few tins so I won't miss the tin art. I like to use tins to dry out a few bowls of tobacco at a time, so I do "reuse" the tins so to speak, and I will be glad to have some, even if its just goofy nostalgia.
That being said, as many have pointed out in other threads, Dunhill is no longer what it once was anyhow, there are better blends still on the market, and spilled milk and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.