PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
The first thing I did when I found this site was to look up local tobacco shops. I was only aware of a couple in the area and I wanted to see if I had missed one. Turns out there was one, Prince Philip's, right next to my new job so I decided to take a look after work. This is a great little place. The tin shelsves looked a little understocked, but they a had a decent display of bulk tobacco. It was mostly aromatics, but they did have a few english blends. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my pipe so I could sit down and have a smoke. So I ask the shop keep, a younger looking lady, about the bulk english blends and she pointed out a blend called Blackbeard's Folly, virgina/cavendish flake. It smelled good so bought a couple of ounces and I am smoking while I write this, but that's another thread. I'll just say it was a good recommendation. I also bought a tin of MC Oriental mix #12 that I had been wanting to try for a while and some pipe cleaners. They had a decent pipe display, but I didn't look too hard because I have to wait a little while before I buy my next pipe. I did chat with the owner and his daughter for a little while, very nice people. Overall it is a nice little store and it is nice to have one that is so convenient. I will definitely be going back.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
I stopped by Prince Philip's once about 5 years ago, and was given a dose of stink-eye by the owner. He watched me as I strolled around the store, never taking his eyes off me. Not once did he ask if he could help, nor even approach me. He just sat in the hallway and stared. I quickly exited and haven't been back since.
I found out later that he had been robbed at gunpoint a few days before my visit, and as a result looked at anyone unfamiliar as a suspect. Shame.
Sounds like things have changed since then and it might be worth another visit.
CACooper

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Well, that would make me look at people differently too. I like to support local B&M's as much as possible. By the looks of it I am not sure they'll be in business much longer; he's an old feller and as I said it looked understocked. Its my first time in so we'll see how it goes the next time I stop in. I hope its goes well because it is so damn convenient. Its amazing what a first impression can do. Look for the lady, she's seems more friendly. If you do stop by let me know what you think.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
I stopped in there about a month ago. Only the old guy and what appeared to be a friend of his were there. They were both in back smoking cigars. The old man was pleasant and after asking about certain tins he said I could pop back behind the counter and look for/ help myself and ended up buying a tin of Dunhill Nightcap and a tin Orlik GS. He's prices are pretty good too!
I had gone years before but kind of forgot about it. The biggest thing I noticed though is that now the store seems to be in a bit of disarray. It was definitely a tad more dusty and cluttered then it used to be. I didn't bother to check out his bulk tobaccos. By the look of it, it didnt appear that he was doing much business anymore so I wasn't sure how good or fresh the stuff was. But since you seem to enjoying some of it, I just might have to go back and check it out.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, they didn't seem to worry too much about me going and grabbing the MC tin my self and the tin is a little dusty. And the shop was a little shabby looking. The aromatics seem untouched for the most part, but it looked as though they had been selling the english blends, at least a little. I just smoked my second bowel of the Blackbeard and I do like it. I have to wonder if it has some perique in it because it has a little bit of spice to it that I didn't expect to find in a viginas/cavendish blend. If nothing else I would go back for this blend and because their tin prices weren't bad. Like I said I would be surprised if they are in business much longer, just by the look of things, but I am going to check it out one more time. I have to admit I have a soft spot for old guys still running their business, so this may be blurring the reality of my response.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
I do remember hearing recently that the shopping center, Tamarack Square, was shutting down. The vacancy rate was rising, and the center is dying. Believe me, a dying center has a very negative effect on a shop owner's attitude. I experienced this myself in the waning days of my shop.
I moved into a brand new shopping center, complete with 3 restaurants and an 8000 sq. ft. liquor store right next to me. Looked like a win-win situation. And it was - for a while. Within 6 months, the liquor store closed, then one by one, other tenants moved out. By the end of my lease, the center had less than 50% occupancy. All within 5 years!
As competition moved closer, my sales steadily decreased as the center fell into disrepair, and more tenants left. This situation had a negative effect on morale, to say the least. When my lease came up for renewal, I made the decision to close up shop. I was considering moving to another city altogether, but after crunching the numbers, the economics were not feasible. Besides, after ten years, working 6 to 7 days a week, 12 to 14 hours a day, with barely any time off, I was burnt out.
The old adage is true: Location, Location, Location!
I feel for the owner of Prince Philip's. I know what he's going through. I wish him luck.
CACooper

Status
Not open for further replies.