PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slrichman

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2017
Little Rock, AR
prince-of-wales-337x600.jpg

Twenty years ago I bought this bulldog from a fellow pipe-forum member. I recall paying about 20 bucks. After some research today I learned (from Pipedia.org and Pipephil.eu) that it's a GBD sub-brand, Prince of Wales. It says that and "Hand Made" on the shank. The acrylic stem sports the flag of Scotland. It's one of the biggest pipes I own, yet it is easy to clench and smokes great.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Ooh, like that quite a bit. Given my heritage, sporting the flag of Scotland would certainly add to my appreciation of it.

Looks like a beauty. I don't know anything about the make though.

My largest bowl is not my largest pipe. People get pipe size and bowl size confused a bunch on here, with all of that Dunhill group size chart mess. My largest bowl was a custom made 1"x 2" bulldog also, weighing in at 1.5oz. My largest actual pipe has a moderate sized bowl on it, like a .8" diameter.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
What's the Scotish Saltire doing on a Prince of Wales pipe I wonder. Surely our dragon would be more fitting.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have a couple of Prince of Whales I've picked up at auctions. Rustic nice smokers. Very solid.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Jazz, never seen a Prince of Wales pipe. Would be odd to have the Saltire on it-be more appropriate to a Rattray. The Welsh dragon would be rather cool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mighty fine. Savinelli makes, or made, a rather long-stemmed prince shape pipe called a Prince of Wales. That bulldog looks like a work horse.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No problem. Here's how to do it- Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, (including this site's album) such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.

Status
Not open for further replies.