PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Since in the past I've enjoyed regular Prince Albert pipe tobacco, the last time I ordered some to add to my humble cellar I also ordered a pouch of Prince Albert Soft Vanilla. A neighbor of mine, one of the very few pipe smokers I know, smokes it as his main blend.

Since I'd also seen it mentioned as an enjoyable blend in the past I thought it was worth a try. Today I finished the pouch and decided to jot down my impressions, especially since I don't see it mentioned all that often.

It was minimally cased and basically consisted of leafy burley that burned really well to produce lots of smoke. It burned cleanly with little or no goop at the bottom after I would finish a bowl. The vanilla casing is barely detectable and simply adds a softness to the overall smoke. Room note is good but nothing outstanding.

It's basically your simple burley blend that's essentially a pleasant easy-to-smoke tobacco. Easy to simply pack, light, puff, and enjoy. Minimal relights and no tongue bite. Would make a great fishing or yard work blend.

Will I order it again? Probably not, mainly because I've stashed away so many other blends I want to try. That said, I'd definitely recommend it as a simple, enjoyable, reasonably inexpensive tasty pipe tobacco that's readily available. A nice alternative to the regular Prince Albert.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I found that to be a very enjoyable blend. Unfortunately I cannot get it in Europe. I got it from "the dude" that sold contraband tobacco from the states when that was still available. I am not an aromatic fan, but that was hell of a burley vanilla laced tobacco. In fact I like prince Albert a lot too, among the best if not simply the best over the counter burley I ever had.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I tried a pouch of it a few years ago and just couldn't get past the chemical taste. I won't bad mouth the blend any further because I could see this being okay for a newbee and everyone's taste are different. Once I tried MacBaren's Vanilla Flake and Loose Cut, my search for a good Vanilla blend stopped. That's the only Vanilla blend I'll smoke from now on.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I tried a pouch of it a few years ago and just couldn't get past the chemical taste. I won't bad mouth the blend any further because I could see this being okay for a newbee and everyone's taste are different. Once I tried MacBaren's Vanilla Flake and Loose Cut, my search for a good Vanilla blend stopped. That's the only Vanilla blend I'll smoke from now on.
I, too, thought it was horrible. Like smoking an incredibly lightly vanilla scented paper bag. ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried that one, but another basic burley vanilla blend I like is C'est La Vie, and I haven't detected any chemical taste, and the vanilla is pleasant but very mild, so the blend is tobacco forward.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota

Agreed. The MacBaren Vanilla Flake/Loose Cut are far better vanilla aromatics. The Prince Albert Soft Vanilla was so lightly cased that you could barely detect it.

It's amazing how often I read that many pipe smokers have body chemistry sensitivity issues to propylene glycol, red virginias, and even some burleys that can make a certain blend a no-go.

Status
Not open for further replies.