PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgstraub

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2021
Silver Spring, MD
Carter Hall has held, as you can see, an honored place on my desk for more years than I can remember. Literally. It was the only thing I smoked for years. I have recently gone off the reservation and tried a few others -- My Mixture 965 is the new favorite -- but CH will always be close at hand. I hope it survives.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
John Patton used to refer to these blends as "American classics", which has become my preferred term as well; it makes it clear what blends are being discussed. "Codger blend" is not at all precise, and is a bit pejorative as well. puffy
When I visited many of these blends in the early part of this century, my favorite was Kentucky Club Mild, long gone, alas. I have just recently found Milan's match of this; I never smoked enough of the original to compare, but the match is moving into my rotation, along with Lane Ready Rubbed.
I still like otc or drug store blends.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
John Patton used to refer to these blends as "American classics", which has become my preferred term as well; it makes it clear what blends are being discussed. "Codger blend" is not at all precise, and is a bit pejorative as well. puffy
When I visited many of these blends in the early part of this century, my favorite was Kentucky Club Mild, long gone, alas. I have just recently found Milan's match of this; I never smoked enough of the original to compare, but the match is moving into my rotation, along with Lane Ready Rubbed.
Do you remember what the difference was between Kentucky Club and Kentucky Club Mild? Was it a matter of burley vs dark-fired?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Do you remember what the difference was between Kentucky Club and Kentucky Club Mild? Was it a matter of burley vs dark-fired?
I never had Kentucky Club - it was discontinued before I explored those blends. No indication in the reviews at TR that ODF was used - I don't think ODF was a thing when KC was developed. Reviews do indicate that KC was a crimp cut vs the cube cut of KCM.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Jeff 11B

Lurker
May 1, 2021
As you guys know, I'm a big fan of Carter Hall. In fact, sometimes when I have an especially hard day, I take the top off the tub and shove my face in so I can breath in the wonderful, peaceful aroma of the tobacco. Usually about three good whiffs will do it. Like taking a shower for my brain.

M

MARC52

As you guys know, I'm a big fan of Carter Hall. In fact, sometimes when I have an especially hard day, I take the top off the tub and shove my face in so I can breath in the wonderful, peaceful aroma of the tobacco. Usually about three good whiffs will do it. Like taking a shower for my brain.
I'm a fan also and I've been smoking Carter Hall daily for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.