PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
I wonder if it's related to the somewhat infamous "burley throat". I guess that's more specific to C&D burleys and their ilk. I still get it occasionally. But it's very different from heartburn, I suppose...

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
At first my wife conceded that Carter Hall wasn't that bad.. so when she would ask "what is that stinking stuff?".. I'd tell her "its your favorite blend, Carter Hall"... regardless of what it was.. that lasted a couple of weeks, now she just hates all pipe tobacco. But hey, it was a pure freedom for two weeks.

Don't do like I have done... Like it was already stated above, Its much easier to just smoke outside or in another room.. than to replace the love of your life.
My wife doesn’t like Lane 1-Q, but seems OK with Wilshire. ?

It’s all about first impressions, I guess, a bad first impression kind of sticks at a visceral level.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I smoke a lot of PA and also Half & Half. When I get home from work before I start my daily chores outside my wife and I sit and discuss the day on the front porch. I usually have a small glass of bourbon and a pipe. If I smoke PA she says the smoke gives her heartburn but not if I smoke Half and Half. Has anyone ever experienced this. My wife doesn't complain about the pipe and is very supportive of my smoking.

Odd. Only thing I can think of is PA is pretty much all burley and some people just can’t get on with burley at all. It could be doing the same thing to her that it does to people who say burley bites them hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
The anti acid heartburn medication Ranitidine is the one taken off the market and the one you see all the commercials about on TV. It is alleged to contain cancer causing elements. I took Ranitidine for 10 yrs before it was taken off the market and I have no cancer. I'm now taking Famotidine and it helps with the heartburn when smoking too much, regardless of blend. Now back to the OP's question. My wife doesn't get heartburn from my pipe smoking, she just flatout doesn't care for pipe tobacco regardless of the blend. Some blends I smoke do cause her eyes to become sore and itchy so I avoid smoking those blends around her. See, I'm not all that mean :LOL:.

Reactions: Old School 3319

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
stuff's bad 4 u brah
I was diagnosed with erosive esophagitis around 10 years ago. Biopsy came out clean (no Barrett's Syndrome) and Dr. put me on Dexilant which he said to take the rest of my life. It was a high dose for 6 months and it cleared up the issue. Gradually I switched to Lanzoprazole (chemically very similar to Dexilant and much cheaper) dropped my dosage to 15mg/day. This works well for me as a preventative. I haven't had any issues at all. I know there are some side effects, but this is a risk I am willing to take.