New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I smoke a lot of PA and also Half & Half. When I get home from work before I start my daily chores outside my wife and I sit and discuss the day on the front porch. I usually have a small glass of bourbon and a pipe. If I smoke PA she says the smoke gives her heartburn but not if I smoke Half and Half. Has anyone ever experienced this. My wife doesn't complain about the pipe and is very supportive of my smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting complaint. I've not heard about heartburn as a secondary smoke health effect, but a lot of sensitivity isn't well reported or studied at all, and with some experience in this over some years, I tend to believe the complainants. Sometimes you can tell people are hypochondriacs or displacing some other problem, but in a huge majority of cases, the people are giving a flat factual report and need to be believed. Whether their complaint could be scientifically proved or not is a second complicated question, but they aren't engaging their imaginations at all. If they say heartburn, that's probably it. I can't explain it, but I believe your wife, with the information I have.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Maybe it's more a throat irritation than heartburn?
it's possible. PA is straight burley which bothers some people and half and half obviously has 50% VA.

Reactions: newportpipe
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Funny. I have yet to find a blend, even an aromatic blend, that my wife doesn’t mind the smell of. She says they all stink. At least you have a couple of options for smoking around her.

At first my wife conceded that Carter Hall wasn't that bad.. so when she would ask "what is that stinking stuff?".. I'd tell her "its your favorite blend, Carter Hall"... regardless of what it was.. that lasted a couple of weeks, now she just hates all pipe tobacco. But hey, it was a pure freedom for two weeks.

Don't do like I have done... Like it was already stated above, Its much easier to just smoke outside or in another room.. than to replace the love of your life.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
At first my wife conceded that Carter Hall wasn't that bad.. so when she would ask "what is that stinking stuff?".. I'd tell her "its your favorite blend, Carter Hall"... regardless of what it was.. that lasted a couple of weeks, now she just hates all pipe tobacco. But hey, it was a pure freedom for two weeks.

Don't do like I have done... Like it was already stated above, Its much easier to just smoke outside or in another room.. than to replace the love of your life.
I smoke outside anyway. She just says “you stink” every time I come back in the house ?