PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
As a matter of fact the best taste is when the pipe is almost out and I blow out a glimpse of smoke it is the best taste of the whole bowl
Like everything else in pipe smoking, there is definite personal preference in this. I don't sip all the time. And little more than ghost of smoke taste better for me. Then there are times I'll change cadence and get little more smoke than usual.

Reactions: BROBS and JOHN72

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As a matter of fact the best taste is when the pipe is almost out and I blow out a glimpse of smoke it is the best taste of the whole bowl
Great when it's on the edge and great when it's the last breath before going out. But since I don't intend to spend every waking moment of smoking a pipe hitting that point where it goes out, I settle for just as good where it's on the edge but salvageable.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke flakes almost exclusively because they smoke cool and dry in the right pipes. I keep a bit of moisture in my flakes and I use a firm pack so I have some resistance before I light up. I always check the draw before lighting. For me anything that is too dry smokes hot and fast. I keep a dime's worth of cake in my pipes as they smoke cooler that way. I also make sure that my pipes have a shank dimension of 4.0-4.5 as that makes sure my pipes will smoke nice and dry.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
This topic drives me crazy because you gotta ask why manufacturers haven't seen the hundred thousand threads in this forum suggesting that the solution to making their shitty smoking tobacco become anywhere from not shitty and good to not shitty and fantastic, and therefore adjust their piss poor hydration methods? Oh wait... it's easier to sell water to a pipe smoker than it is to sell patchoulli to a hippie.

This topic drives me crazy because you gotta ask why manufacturers haven't seen the hundred thousand threads in this forum suggesting that the solution to making their shitty smoking tobacco become anywhere from not shitty and good to not shitty and fantastic, and therefore adjust their piss poor hydration methods? Oh wait... it's easier to sell water to a pipe smoker than it is to sell patchoulli to a hippie.
D&R and C&D promote the dryness of their products as a plus. Whereas Samuel Gawith has made a fortune selling water over all of these years. puffy

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Interestingly though, I often see more people complain about dryness out of tin vs. wetness. Most comments I've seen are more open to drying wet tobacco compared to opening a tin of dry tobacco. Whether that's some mental ideal that pipe tobacco should be wet, or convenience or some other thought process, who knows.

I've seen people straight up hate D&R because of how dry it is.

Reactions: rajangan and BROBS
Interestingly though, I often see more people complain about dryness out of tin vs. wetness. Most comments I've seen are more open to drying wet tobacco compared to opening a tin of dry tobacco. Whether that's some mental ideal that pipe tobacco should be wet, or convenience or some other thought process, who knows.

I've seen people straight up hate D&R because of how dry it is.

When you've only ever seen something done one way, when someone comes along and does it differently, people react from what they've been used to. You don't usually see a lot of D&R hate on this forum, because we've had the luxury of discussing the dryness for years now. Sure, some still don't like them, but there are things I am repulsed by that others like also. Aesthetics, if we all thought and agreed that the same things were good and beautiful, our species would die out rather quickly.