PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Ah, great news. Enjoy the G&H. New pipes can definitely be quite hard to resist, and you end up with a pile of them pretty sharpish.

In the UK you can still get the codger blends from Sainsbury's I think? Unless they finally stopped stocking. But there's some decent stuff over the counter (St.Bruno and Amphora are usually good bets).

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
I'm in London and I can't find one, so you should be delighted. Taking a trip to Ireland later in the year though, and am hoping to get to the Peterson shop in Dublin.
As an ex-Londoner, there used to be several tobacconists I frequented... St.James has James J. Fox's (just off Picadilly), there's Segar and Snuff in Covent Garden, Jayems's on Victoria High Street and British American Tobacco (used to be the Dunhill store) near St. James' Palace.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
We have two local shops in Omaha. The prices are quite a bit steeper than online, but I do try to go to them on occasion and support them. The one downtown (SG Roi's) mostly sell cigars, but they now carry a decent assortment of tins and some bulk blends (Sutliff Aro's for the most part). I noticed one jar with faint writing on it. I asked what was in that jar and he said McClellands #2030. Ok, not McClellands best, but what the heck, bought a couple of ounces. It was bone dry. Loaded up a pipe as is, and it actually wasn't too bad. I was pleasantly surprised. It was an enjoyable after dinner smoke and tasted pretty decent.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
So with a bit of Googling I found there is a small corner shop in the next town over that sells pipes and tobacco. It’s a tiny collection but it’s really useful to know about.

treated myself to some Gawith Hoggarth Spirit of Scotland while I was there. Just about resisted buying a new pipe!

@Topcat85 Would that be Devon House News at Glumangate?

Reactions: Charlie718

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Give them your business, even if the prices are a little higher than online. Pass the word to other pipe smokers if possible. It's a rare and beautiful thing when a pipe shop can stay open.
I agree. I visit George at least once a week and never leave empty handed.

Reactions: OzPiper
C

Corcoran-Rooney

As an ex-Londoner, there used to be several tobacconists I frequented... St.James has James J. Fox's (just off Picadilly), there's Segar and Snuff in Covent Garden, Jayems's on Victoria High Street and British American Tobacco (used to be the Dunhill store) near St. James' Palace.
Yes they did come up in my google search, but I was left with the impression they only sold cigars. Will check them out. Not today though, with this darn football, going to be insane down there.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Yes they did come up in my google search, but I was left with the impression they only sold cigars. Will check them out. Not today though, with this darn football, going to be insane down there.
Good luck, it's easy to do a stroll from Picadilly down to the city.

I was a regular when I worked in Holborn.
I forgot a few so I'll mention them; there's the Davidoff cigar shop close to James Fox's... and a great place opposite to the bank of England (J.Redford & Co - Smoker's Paradise) which is closest to Bank station. I think many places have switched to cigars, the shop in Victoria was converting into a 'headshop' type place (bongs and marijuana stuff) so maybe skip them. Note that I haven't been in London since 2012 when I moved to Canada... so my info is pretty old-hat.

I'll be raising a glass to the England team later on, but glad to not have to deal with the rabble.

Reactions: Corcoran-Rooney