PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm trying to decide what English blend to try on my next tobacco order. I know conventional wisdom would state buy both, but I'm already pushing the limit of what I can safely order. So my question for all who have tried both is this: which one should I try first? I don't have a lot of experience with English style blends, but the ones I have tried have generally fallen on the stouter scale (ex. Nightcap), so something a little lighter is what I'm going for.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Depends on what you actually like in such blends. Tried both. Presbyterian is a bit milder, more Oriental-forward. Less engaging. SP is 'meatier', more into campfire Latakia territory. A bit fuller. I like them both: for different moods and occasions.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Well, I haven't had Presbyterian, but I have been loving the Country Squire Shepherd's Pie. It's a bit sweeter/richer than something like Arango Balkan Supreme, which I also love. I do not find the Latakia in Sheperd's Pie overbearing.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Depends on what you actually like in such blends. Tried both. Presbyterian is a bit milder, more Oriental-forward. Less engaging. SP is 'meatier', more into campfire Latakia territory. A bit fuller. I like them both: for different moods and occasions.
Ah, I don't think that I have had any oriental forward blends. It could be a change for me for sure.
Both are much lighter than anything in the Nightcap category.

But SP still tastes like an English. Whereas, to me, Presbyterian does not -- the latakia is barely detectable.

If you want to try a lighter English that's still definitely English, I'd recommend SP.
If you want to try a Va/Or, try Presbyterian.
Yeah, I started with the heavy stuff I guess. Balkan's and Nightcap were the one's I smoked when I started off. Since then I went to Bald Headed Teacher and then some English-aro's. I still need to work on technique before tackling the Virignia's again, as I don't think I appreciated them as much as I should have.

Would you guys say one is more flavorful than the other?

Reactions: ClenchedBilliard
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
TBH, unless you've dialed in a palette for more nuanced flavors, you may be disappointed in Presbyterian. You may smoke it too hot, in search of more flavor. Others may disagree.
That was my experience with Dunhill Aperitif years ago -- after experiencing a few really strong Latakia blends and enjoying them, Aperitif was something of a let-down. I wish I had that tin back for a do-over!

Reactions: SBC

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
After smoking heavier Latakia blends Presbyterian definitely seems a bit dull but I jarred it up and it’s my go to on mornings when I don’t want Early Morning Pipe which is a great milder English btw it has a very distinct flavor unlike any other.
I’ve toyed with the idea of smoking EMP in the Morning ,My Mixture 965 in the Afternoon ,and Nightcap at Night.
Seems they get stronger and stronger as the day goes but I haven’t tried it yet.
There are so many to choose from but life is long follow your gut they are all winners…

Reactions: FLDRD

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I haven't tried the Presbyterian myself but I can say you should certainly try the Shepherds Pie.

It was one of the first English blends I tried a ways back when I first picked up the pipe again. I really enjoyed it, It got me interested in exploring more English blends and now after trying a bunch I still go back to the Pie.

I would also agree with how @kschatey described it. It's lightly sweet and rich, the latakia isn't a bomb, it's got good body and depth of flavor from the Izmir, it's complex and changes a bit during the smoke. Like I said I keep this stuff stocked now along with a couple of others from The Country Squire.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I haven't tried the Presbyterian myself but I can say you should certainly try the Shepherds Pie.

It was one of the first English blends I tried a ways back when I first picked up the pipe again. I really enjoyed it, It got me interested in exploring more English blends and now after trying a bunch I still go back to the Pie.

I would also agree with how @kschatey described it. It's lightly sweet and rich, the latakia isn't a bomb, it's got good body and depth of flavor from the Izmir, it's complex and changes a bit during the smoke. Like I said I keep this stuff stocked now along with a couple of others from The Country Squire.
Good to know! Old Toby has to be my favorite tobacco so far, it is just incredible stuff. Their Northwest Trek and Hunting Creek are both solid, not sure which one I prefer over those two. Ideally I'd only stock up on one of them, but I can't decide haha.

I'll probably order the SP. It sounds like what I'm wanting: a definite English, but easier going than my previous English experiences.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Good to know! Old Toby has to be my favorite tobacco so far, it is just incredible stuff. Their Northwest Trek and Hunting Creek are both solid, not sure which one I prefer over those two. Ideally I'd only stock up on one of them, but I can't decide haha.

I'll probably order the SP. It sounds like what I'm wanting: a definite English, but easier going than my previous English experiences.
Old Toby and Hunting Creek are also two of my favorites. Those two along with the Pie are what I keep in stock from them. I couldn't limit myself so three it is for me.

It certainly sounds like you would dig it based on the others you've enjoyed from them.

Take the high road ! GLP Spark Plug ! It's a freshly baked brownie soaked in old engine oil....but somehow smokes wonderfully !

I thought you were describing Gaslight! But I guess Gaslight is more like a brownie soaked in creosote, that also smokes wonderfully ... 🤔😂

Reactions: kola

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
If you are ordering some SP pick you up an ounce or two of Northwest Trek and Angry Cornishman, those might be to your liking as well.
I actually have a couple ounces of Northwest Trek. Only have given it a couple smokes so far, but it seems smooth with enough of an English taste still. I might try mixing it half and half with Hunting Creek and have that a whirl. I find HC a touch lighter than I want

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
I like both Presbyterian and Shepherd's Pie. But Shepherd's Pie is unquestionably my favorite. I agree with several others here, it is more flavorful than Presbyterian.

Reactions: jiminy

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
I actually have a couple ounces of Northwest Trek. Only have given it a couple smokes so far, but it seems smooth with enough of an English taste still. I might try mixing it half and half with Hunting Creek and have that a whirl. I find HC a touch lighter than I want
I've skipped Hunting Creek based on first and second hand reviews, I think it would veer too hard to the aromatic end of the spectrum for me whereas Northwest Trek still packs plenty of latakia and burley flavor with an aromatic sweetness. I do not think you will be disappointed with Shepherds Pie.

Reactions: jiminy