PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
In January I purchased this Preben Holm Estate. I was very happy with the choice. I had been looking for a nice freehand for a while and this was it.

preben-holm-1.jpg

It was even more beautiful in person when it arrived and it fit perfectly into my hand just like it had been designed for me. I noticed before my first smoke, that it had a very tight draw and that the problem was the stem, not the shank. My first two bowls confirmed that the draw was way too tight and that getting a good smoke would be pretty difficult. I found that I could barely even get the stem to pass a pipe cleaner even when held separate from the bowl. Eventually, I managed to crack the aged acrylic tenon. I was disappointed.
I decided to send the pipe down to Ric at Briarville to have a new vulcanite stem fashioned. I specified that I really wanted an open draw. The pipe came back last Friday looking very nice.

preben-holm-2-repair-600x450.jpg

I smoked two nice big bowls of Balkan this weekend and it smokes beautifully. Thanks Ric. Highly recommended.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Nice pipe. Too bad about the stem cracking.
it fit perfectly into my hand just like it had been designed for me
Isn't that something?! That is the first thing I always say too when I pick one up. It is almost like he got the shape from squeezing a lump of putty in his hand to find out just where the fingers wanted to be.
People not fond of freehands complain of the size and weight, but the size also makes them very cool to smoke, and with them fitting the hand so well, who wouldn't want them in their hand anyway!
As I hold it, I find every curve offers a different way of holding the pipe with a very light yet secure grip.
When I'm smoking a PH or BW, I find it becomes an extension of my hand and I use it to gesture, point things out--- it becomes part of me.

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
Contact Walker Pipes. They will be able to fix you up with a new stem better than the original!!!!
Jon :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.