Pre-Review Then In a Day Or Full Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I went to my local cigar shop and got Nat Sherman's No.536 which is their English blend. Wow I am surprised that this isn't a blend I've heard more about. I've only smoked one bowl of it so maybe I'll see why latter. I want to smoke it in my three main pipes and not just one. But wow I love what I've tried so far. Including the room note. Though it's certainly not a blend for the latakia lover. The latakia is there but it's just a dash.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
There are a few of us who like the blends using latakia with a more restrained hand.
I've not yet tried the Nat Sherman stuff yet. MSO speaks highly of them and should be strafing this thread any time now...
The Dobie 4 Square series has an "English" blend that will have you questioning your tongue in searching for latakia. I found that one TOO light.
jay-roger.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
jaytex969 I've only had it once but it seems pretty amazing. And I am one of those people that loves latakia but prefers a milder touch to it (most of the time). Though the one problem with that blend is it makes you feel under dressed a bit, like when you forget to wear your tux to Opera.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You rang? Yes, I've been commending Nat Sherman 536 for years. I "met" it at the home church Nat Sherman shop in Manhattan, where I bought a few ounces in bulk with the guidance of Cliff Gold, lead sales associate. It's an American/English, that is has burley in the blend, which is guaranteed to appeal to me. But more, it is a lovely and refined English blend, mild to medium but fully tasty and complex, to my taste. I highly recommend it, and have an unopened tin on hand to prove it. The Nat Sherman shop has a conversation area where the cigar smokers where convened, but I found a nice rocker by the door to the humidor and settled in with my hand-carved Jerry Perry bent billiard, orange stain with orange stem. It was a fine time with a fine blend.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I know there are 2 or 3 other blends that I've noted the lighter bit of latakia in, but I can't, for the life of me today, recall the names.
You know what they say. The mind is the 2nd thing to go... :lol:
jay-roger.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
536 was a surprise for me. I bought a Castello last year at the Nat Sherman Townhouse in Manhattan and asked the manager if it came with a sample of their tobacco. He initially said no, then relented and asked which of their bulk blends I might like. All the others were aromatic, so I said 536. I didn’t expect much, especially since I dont smoke English blends very much. I sat down and loaded up my new silver-banded Dublin Sea Rock and really enjoyed it. I ended up bringing home 8 ounces of it. It’s a light English bordering on a crossover.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I have always felt the Sam Gawith twins, Squadron Leader and Skiff, fall into that light English category. To some that may be blasphemy.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Thank you for the recommendation. I love well-balanced latakia blends where the latakia is obvious but not overwhelming. I added a tin of 536 to my SP shopping cart for my next order.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
I stop in the Nat Sherman store quite often on the way to Grand Central terminal when I feel like a bowl instead of a pint. I've struck up a friendship with the manager of the pipe department. He admitted to me that they do not blend their own tobacco but repackage Lane and Stokkebye (and formerly McClelland) bulks. 536 is actually Lane HGL, 518 is 1-Q, 590 is TK6, and 509 is BCA. I confirmed this buy ordering the corresponding Lane tobaccos from SP and sure enough they're identical
Even though all of these can be had for much cheaper at SP or P&C I always buy a couple ounces whenever I use the lounge for courtesy. It's still less than a couple of pints or a whiskey in one of the local pubs. Oddly enough Ive never seen another pipesmoker in the store. Everyone else is smoking a cigar

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
I've never bought a tin but the bulk jar is labelled 536. I assume it would be the same. The tin of course would be better if you want to cellar it
These days I would say that more than 90 percent of Nat Sherman's business is cigars. It's not surprising that someone else makes their pipe tobacco

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I can understand outsourcing the manufacture and packaging, but I'm not really down with the whole re-labeling someone else's blend and selling it thing, but apparently, it's quite common. Makes me appreciate the B&Ms that still do their own blending like Watch City.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.