PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Morning all,
I picked up a rather nice 1940s Deluxe stummel and wonder if someone with a bigger brain than I might shed some light on it. The COM is a circular 'Made in England' so, assuming the conventions can be trusted, dates from late 30s to late 40s. However, infuriatingly, it is not hallmarked - just stamped sterling. It also has no shape number. The Peterson's stamp is sans-serif block format. Here's what she looks like:
img_4926-600x400.jpg

img_4927-600x400.jpg

I don't know much about the Deluxe shapes - they've always been a bit out of my budget, but comparing it to the modern offerings, it looks like a 11. It needs sending off to Petersons to get a new stem cut and I would like it to be 'as it was' and wasn't sure whether it should have a saddle bit or a tapered one. I found a 1940s catalogue which shows both the 11s and the 11b and it looks like the pipes have different shapes.
1940-deluxe-600x550.jpg

Is it just me, or does the 11s have a shallower shank angle?
Is there anyone out there that can set things straight for me? Is it an 11 and does anyone know whether it should be a saddle or a tapered stem?
As ever, my thanks.
Geoff

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I suspect it was available with either stem. I'd drop a message to Mark Irwin, Peterson authority (owner of the Peterson Pipe Notes blog & upcoming factory authorized book on Peterson). He's usually pretty quick to respond. You can send the pipe back to Peterson for a new stem, or perhaps use George Dibos for a magnificent, new stem. Pipes destined for the US, were't required to have a hallmark date stamp. (many imported thru Rogers)

https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/author/mirwin58/

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Thanks Al - I'll drop him a plea. It's the difference in shape that has confused me; I assumed that, as you state, either stem could be ordered, thus making it either an 11s or an 11b, but the catalogue seems to suggest otherwise, although pictorial accuracy may not have been a priority in this case since it's a one page 'overview' of the different System pipes available.
I did see a new Deluxe stem made by George during my trawl - stunning! However, being a Brit the shipping alone would cost nearly £30 there and back and the item will be hijacked by the couriers and released only on payment of an 'administrative' fee on top of any duties, so Europe is a cheaper option for me (until we crash out of the EU, that is).
Thanks again.
Geoff

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Thanks Jensen. It does have very attractive grain and should clean up well. I'll update the thread with a photo or two once I get around to working on it.

osiris01

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
:D Thanks Paul - one of these days I might be able to afford to keep one. To be honest, I did buy this one for me. It will cost about 50 Euros to stem and I've not had an early Deluxe before, so I thought I could get the stummel and, if necessary, wait until I have the money to get it stemmed. You've got one heading your way, haven't you?

gnarlybriar

Might Stick Around
Jun 11, 2009
Chesterfield, VA
Nice find! Yes, probably an 11.When you send it to Sallynoggin, I kind of hope you request a "B" stem - and I would like to know if Peterson accommodates that request. One doesn't see many in new offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.