PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
Hello, Everyone

I pick up a Savinelli 121 Capri Root that is pre-filter that I really enjoy smoking. Everything about the pipe the rustication, the shape, the draw. But, aside from it smoking great, it seems that the shape has drawn me in.

It has a vulcanite stem and is before their filter was added.

Do we know, or is there a source of what lines this particular pipe might have some in? I have so far seen a Capri Root, Punto Oro - Sand Blasted, and Smooth, Straight Grain, and maybe De Luxe.

I feel like there should be more than this...

Any info on this little bit of trivia?

Thanks!

Andrew

Reactions: danimalia

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hello, Everyone

I pick up a Savinelli 121 Capri Root that is pre-filter that I really enjoy smoking. Everything about the pipe the rustication, the shape, the draw. But, aside from it smoking great, it seems that the shape has drawn me in.

It has a vulcanite stem and is before their filter was added.

Do we know, or is there a source of what lines this particular pipe might have some in? I have so far seen a Capri Root, Punto Oro - Sand Blasted, and Smooth, Straight Grain, and maybe De Luxe.

I feel like there should be more than this...

Any info on this little bit of trivia?

Thanks!

Andrew
Uh-oh, thats how this started!

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
Are you asking which series don't have filters? Do a search on smokingPipes.com. There are more then you might think. Some series offer both filtered and non-filtered like Punto Oro, 140th Anniversary and Autograph. Some series only offer non-filtered like Tre, Oscar lucite and Hercules. I generally search for non-filtered but will purchase filtered if that's all that's available in the series.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
Uh-oh, thats how this started!

View attachment 12939
Wow, that is a beautiful collection!

I'm a bit afraid of that! I am sort of shooting for a Rusticated/Sand Blasted/Straight Grain set of the 121s. There is an army mount one on the bay right now that is priced too high for my liking but it sure would be a nice one.

Are you asking which series don't have filters? Do a search on smokingPipes.com. There are more then you might think.

I didn't know about this feature! Perfect thank you

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm a bit afraid of that! I am sort of shooting for a Rusticated/Sand Blasted/Straight Grain set of the 121s. There is an army mount one on the bay right now that is priced too high for my liking but it sure would be a nice one.
Throw them an offer. I was only out more than $30 on two of those in the photo.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
Throw them an offer. I was only out more than $30 on two of those in the photo.
How is that? Just patience and waiting for the right deal? How long have you been building that collection?

The one I am looking at is more than double what I have seen it sold for before, though it's been listed a few times now. It would feel like a low ball and I hate doing that...

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You could also just take out the filter on any of their pipes, no? I love the 121/122 shape. One of my favorite pots, I have a few, including a gargantuan smooth EX that is probably the largest chambered pot I've ever seen, haha.

Reactions: Saintwilliam

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
You could also just take out the filter on any of their pipes, no? I love the 121/122 shape. One of my favorite pots, I have a few, including a gargantuan smooth EX that is probably the largest chambered pot I've ever seen, haha.
Yes. Taking out the filter is definitely an option. Most of my 6mm pipes are smoked this way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I usually put an adaptor in my Savinelli pipes to focus the draw and flavor a little more, but they smoke fine without filter or adaptor. Also, I'd point out that Sav makes various pipes and series without filters. The Oscar Lucite line, though discontinued, is still available and has no filter. Some Sav churchwardens are filterless, and other individual pipes. A number of Rossi pipes, which are now a brand from Savinelli that follows their shapes, offer series and specific pipes without filters. So you have a lot of choices if you shop carefully and thoroughly and shop retailers that specify filters and non-filters, as all good retailers should.

Status
Not open for further replies.