Pre Cadogan Comoy Pipes Without the "C" on the Stem?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I encountered a few of such pipes on Ebay.
Does this mean, the stem was replaced?
And by Comoy I dont meet Guildhall or other Comoy seconds. But Tradition, Deluxe etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
If you mean with no stem logo, almost certainly.

Mike S.

Yes, without the stwm logo.

I am currious though, when did Comoy started to put a logo on the Stem?
This must have been earliest the 1920s?
If am not mistaken, Dunhill were the firdt ones to do it?

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Assuming that the Pre-Cardogan description is correct, then it is likely that the lack of a "C" on the stem indicates the stem is a replacement.

Dunhill did not invent the stem logo. They didn't even invent the one dot, which was Vauen's stem logo.
Isn't that debatable?
In the end Dunhill won in the court.
Thats pretty nasty, if they not only stole the white spot, but also patented it afterwards.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Isn't that debatable?
In the end Dunhill won in the court.
Thats pretty nasty, if they not only stole the white spot, but also patented it afterwards.
It's not debatable. And they couldn't touch Vauen, nor Sasieni outside of the US. Dunhill won their case against Sasieni in the US and lost in England. So Sasieni actually continued to use the one dot in England for a while, but had to change their stem logo for the US market.

Reactions: BROBS

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
It's not debatable. And they couldn't touch Vauen, nor Sasieni outside of the US. Dunhill won their case against Sasieni in the US and lost in England. So Sasieni actually continued to use the one dot in England for a while, but had to change their stem logo for the US market.
But if they came to an agreement with Vauen in court, that Dunhill can use the white spot in all countries, but Vauen only in Germany, how did they manage to persuade the court, if they werent the first?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
But if they came to an agreement with Vauen in court, that Dunhill can use the white spot in all countries, but Vauen only in Germany, how did they manage to persuade the court, if they werent the first?
So a lot of assumptions, like courts always mete out justice. Vauen had the logo first. What transpired during the various motions and the extent to which rights were granted you would have to research. What is known is that Dunhill lost their claim in their English suit, which doesn't point to anything other than they lost their claim. Dunhill won in the US, which covered sales in the US only.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
So a lot of assumptions, like courts always mete out justice. Vauen had the logo first. What transpired during the various motions and the extent to which rights were granted you would have to research. What is known is that Dunhill lost their claim in their English suit, which doesn't point to anything other than they lost their claim. Dunhill won in the US, which covered sales in the US only.
I see. That makes Dunhill even worse in my eyes.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.