PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I recently started having some fun ordering a few (non-latakia) house blends to sample, from places like The Country Squire Tobacconist and Watch City Cigar.

I have tried blends from Cup 'O Joes and 4 Noggins in the past and have been pretty happy with some of those too.
I must say, they are all very good and I definitely have developed some favorites like "Kingsfoil", "Delta Honeydew" and "Fleur De Lis" (no longer offered) from Country Squire.
I am anxiously awaiting a shipment from Watch City Cigar that contains "Old Dominion" and "Flake 558" to sample.

I have some of their Watch City Slices in my cellar and it is also very good (even though it contains latakia).
Can anyone recommend any other any other non-latakia house blends to try, preferably something that I can order on-line or at least by phone?

Thanks for your input!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Whenever I travel I try to hit any local B&Ms and ask about their blending. If it seems legitimately blended in house, even if from component tobaccos from the big guys, I sample some. It makes travel fun. Some naysayers poo poo all house blends, but that is their choice. A lot of the Scottie's and H&H blends on P&C began as house blends here in Albany, NY at the tobacco shop where Russ worked. Unfortunately, all of my favorites are pretty heavy latakia.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I don't have any recommendations and am looking forward to some responses too. I will say that your order from Watch City for Old Dominion and 558 is one I'm planning on doing again. Those two blends are fantastic if you ask me. I really like the crumble flake style.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
timt, that's good to hear.

I wish I could have gotten in on the "4th Nun" holiday blends, but I missed them.

They said on their website that they may start offering it again more regularly, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

wbradk

Lurker
Feb 2, 2012
I really like Country Squire's SECOND BREAKFAST. All in all, I have been very impressed with all of their offerings.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Peretti, and Nat Sherman blends some good ones, especially their Am-English 536, mild but nuanced and refined.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Thanks rdavid, I just placed an order with Peretti for a few 1 oz. samples and I wouldn't be surprised if I found a couple of new favorites.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Country Squire’s Bag End and Cherokee are mild, easy enjoyable smokes.
Watch City’s Deluxe Crumb is excellent.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Here you are.
Watch City Cigar; Quint’s Own, 558, Old Black Magic

The Country Squire; Green Dragon is my favorite

Ted’s Pipe Shoppe (Tulsa Ok); County Cork, Killarney

Oxmore in Louisville, KY; Holy Smoke

Uhle’s; Black Stoker, Blend 00

Milan; Sunset Rum, Reflections

Boswell’s; Pennsylvania Dutch Treat and Pipers Pleasure

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Big fan of smaller B&M blenders. Since you asked for some recommendations, here are some I think are terrific:
4Noggins.com - Essence of Vermont & Three Blind Moose
Boswell - Christmas Cookie, No Bite DeLite, Piper's Pleasure, & Rum River
L.J. Peretti - Blend No. 432, Coffee, Cuban Mixture, Ebony, Park Square, & Yuletide 2018
Milan Tobacconists - "Our" London Dock, Doctor's Orders, Jefferson Street, Reflections, Sunset Rum, & Wall Street
Straus Tobacconist - Rookwood, Sleepy Hollow, & Wenceslas
Uhle's - Blend 00, House of Uhle Blend, Hunt Club, Karen Club, Marquette Blend, Old Shoe Blend, Par Shooter, Perfection Plug Burley, & Raider Blend
Wilke Pipe Tobacco - #191 Honey Vanilla & Vermont Maple Cavendish

rogerrodger

Lurker
Dec 7, 2018
Arrowhead House Blend from Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint Michigan. This is the only aromatic I'm smoking right now. It has a touch of latakia and perique and a light vanilla flavoring. Wonderful.
Paul's Pipe Shop doesn't sell tobacco over the internet. You have to call to order. The shop also makes their own line of quality pipes.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Thanks rdavid, I just placed an order with Peretti for a few 1 oz. samples and I wouldn't be surprised if I found a couple of new favorites.
That's exactly what I did and everything I tried was fantastic. Lifelong customer for sure. Enjoy.
Formerly "rdavid"

Status
Not open for further replies.