PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
My May 4Noggins order arrived today! I'm smoking my first bowl of Prairie Wind. I let it dry for about an hour before packing my cob. It is good! Nice soft sweetness with just a hint of Perique. I can't say it jumped up and grabbed me. It's more like it starts off cool and smooth and gets better as I smoke. Tasting a little more Perique as I get near the middle of the bowl. Easy to smoke and enjoyable. The 4Noggins web site says it has a "good amount of Perique. I don't know if they mean a lot or just the right amount. Seems to me to be just the right amount.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Interesting Roth. I have tried Weybridge and like it. It does remind me of Carter Hall with more VA. I'm still somewhat undecided on Perique. To me, Prairie Wind seems to have much less Perique than H&H Virginia Spice. When they say spice they mean it!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Glad you like it Bob. I love it myself. I find it has a slight vanilla taste to it and I can't put my finger on it. Its a really good, clean smoke. No muss no fuss.
Roth, I'm not the worlds greatest judge of tobacco ratios but IMO its along the lines of Marlin Flake in terms of perique content.

Dec 24, 2012
Guys, Rich recently sent me a sample of Rincon de la Pipa, a blend I understand he makes for a pipe smokers forum in Spain (so I read elsewhere). A gentle mix of Virginias, Bulrley, Izmir, Latakia and a touch of Black Cavendish. I really thought it was good and unique stuff.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I also received some of the Rincon made for Spain. Really couldn't decide on it. A little strong for me, but it was the morning and so my taste buds are different at different times of the day. I'm going to try it later in the afternoon.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Ricon de la pipa #1, it's a good morning smoke in my mind, it reminds me of EMP but without the oriental. It's strong stuff, it makes you grow hair on your chest. I love it personally. Prairie wind I've had a bowl of the sample I got from Rich, it was a good smoke, I have to revisit it with some drying that's happened as I think it was a bit moist still for my liking. I was also outside and it was a bit cold, so I couldn't fully enjoy it. It was a good natural tasting tobacco, I'll have to have another bowl inside though. I love the size of the samples rich gives, as you can have about 5 bowls of it. Another place gave me samples and they're about a bowl or 2, which isn't ideal as usually it takes a few things like proper moisture, proper pipe, etc... So having only 1 or 2 bowls, if you do something wrong, you aren't going to order a pound on a whim usually.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah I can see getting a pound of ricon, at least a half. It's great stuff if you like a strong smoke. I smoke it in my EMP pipe also.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Glad you like it Bob. I love it myself. I find it has a slight vanilla taste to it and I can't put my finger on it. Its a really good, clean smoke. No muss no fuss.
I agree Jah. It feels to the touch like it is topped with something. Vanilla? I don't know. Slight taste of something though. Whatever it is, it's good!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I actually wondered if it was Basma.
BUT, honestly I try to to over think "pipe things". Sometimes I just don't want to see the man behind the curtain.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Well I revisited this "prairie wind" blend today outside but under nice conditions. It's a straight up good natural tasting VaPer. I read someone comparing it to St. James woods by McClellands but I don't find it anywhere the same, I would classify the McClellands as a higher quality and the fact there is the tin fermentation it's a much tangier smoke (McClellands) 4 noggins Prairie wind has a good dose of perique and I found my head to be getting dizzy, which is a good thing to me. I couldn't taste anything other than natural tobacco, which is what I like in a blend, I'm not much into aro's. Nice and convenient as it's ready to pack and at roughly 30$ a pound or so, a great deal. I would definitely order a pound of this if you are into natural tasting VaPer's, it's not sweet really, not to tangy, but still, good stuff. +1 to Rich, I asked him for a VaPer sample and he threw this in, and considering I'm a prairie boy, this is up my alley.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Hmmmm... Prairie Wind, huh. Need to pick up some more FMOTB from 4Noggins; might have to add some o' that to the order as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.