PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Four weeks ago I bought a tin of Peterson's 3p's. not knowing what to do with a plug I done ,y usual research on the net and asked questions on here. I just could not get to grips with it! My first bowl, which was a block of the plug with some shaved bits, was a big let down! I couldn't light the bleeding thing and the only smoke I got was when a flame was present. I went back to it the next day. This time with small cubes packed into the bowl. This time I had to relight 20 times, it tasted like a cheap cigar and I gave up before half a bowl. About a week later I cut strips off the plug, rubbed it slightly but still got similar experiences.

So this morning, in search of a some without the peppery effect of my other English blends, I decided to give it one last hoorah before I gave in. In the tin was some strips that were left previously, I pulled a quarter of the plug apart into kinda square leafs, then went at it with scissors cutting ribbons as best I could. I loaded up using the three, baby woman man approach, gave it a char light or what I thought would be a char light and hey presto! It stayed alight all bar one relight and it was an absolute pleasure! So much I'm on my second bowl of it back to back!

I guess the moral of my story is - listen to all the advice out there to persevere when a blend don't work for you. It's worth it!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I am interested in trying 3Ps, myself. It sounds like a stout blend but I think I am up to the challenge...
Wessex Gold Brick is worthy but it is mild in my books. It is quite hard to cut but from what I gather 3P is perhaps the hardest and most compact plug there is, whereas the GLP ones are much softer and easier to separate, and Gold Brick lies somewhere in between.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have seen pictures of a few gents with plug cutters...
They are the true pros!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It is a great piece of tobacciana to have, whether you've used it or not.
Seamus, do you notice much of a casing on the PPP?

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
I'm still a newbie Simenon but IMO no not really. A very slight fruity taste but one that compliments the natural flavours I'm becoming to love!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It sounds like an interesting blend. I just tried the University flake for the first time the other day and thought it was pretty tasty. I think it goes well after a dinner kind of like an aperitif.
I found that my swiss army knife cuts the Wessex plug easily, I then cube cut it, let it dry and it smokes fine. I will order some 3p's and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.