36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Here are three of my Poul Winslow pipes.
I think the prices of his pipes are much fairer than those of some other well known Danish carvers. View attachment 34305View attachment 34306View attachment 34307
I agree regarding value. My style preferences lean towards the conservative end, so I particularly like the straight billiard at the top. I've seen a couple mind-blowing Private Collection Winslows owned by my buddy, Fred Hanna, who collects only straight grain pipes. I've been looking for one to add to my collection.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
View attachment 35667

This is my really nice Winslow pipe. Caught for a few Euros on a flea market and refurbished it. Don't smoke it too often as I generally use lighter bowls.

BTW, it has no grading letter, what does that mean?
Hi Duke,
normally the markings read...

Winslow
HANDCUT DENMARK
E (in case of a smooth/rusticated finish

If there is no letter (A,B,C,D) stamped on the shank and the stem has no 2 small silver nails (in different sizes) near the shank, your pipe could be a Winslow Crown. Or the grading letter on your pipe is simply buffed away?

Here is a link to Winslow's grading system

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
Hi Duke,
normally the markings read...

Winslow
HANDCUT DENMARK
E (in case of a smooth/rusticated finish

If there is no letter (A,B,C,D) stamped on the shank and the stem has no 2 small silver nails (in different sizes) near the shank, your pipe could be a Winslow Crown. Or the grading letter on your pipe is simply buffed away?

Here is a link to Winslow's grading system

Hi Kottan (are you Austrian by any chance? However, I adore the series)!

No it has the 2 siver nails in two different sizes. Probably you're right and it has been buffed away, there are 2 microscopical lines that might have been an E some time ago :)

Best, Stefan

Reactions: DangerStranger

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have owned a number of hand made Winslows over the years ranging from E-B and everyone was a great smoker. They burned nice and cool and provided great flavor. They were some heavy pipes with thick walls that always smoked nice and cool and provided great flavors. You couldn't get them hot no matter how hard you pushed them. They smoked very similar to my AAA straight grain Willmers whose walls were just as thick. Great smokers if not for their plastic stems and their heavy weights.

I finally decided to sell my batch of AAA Willmers keeping just a couple behind. It was a hard decision as the Willmers had some of the best wood I have smoked. The older I get the lighter it seems I need my pipes. If I was 30 years younger I wouldn't think selling my willmers or Winslows their wood was that good.