PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I recently scratched my itch of curiosity to try some pouch tobacco from PC and bought Erin Go Braugh, John Bull Royal English, and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. I wasn't disappointed with any of them. A nice array of relatively mild but flavorful blends, without overcommitting to any of them. You might get lucky too, but in any case, it is a fun way to try some variety. I may do the same with some of the old house/pouch blends from Iwan Ries. On a whim, I might even try Captain Black Grape, although that might be a reach. Ever do a pouch sampling order?

May 4, 2015
Ya know - I wish pouches were a bit cheaper. I've been interested in making a run on all the available pouch styles, but ounce for ounce, I end up ordering a bunch of 2oz. samples of bulks. I just FEEL like they should be more affordable.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
I hate to admit this but the Captain Black Grape isn't as bad as you might think. I don't think I'll order more when I've finished this pouch, but its not even close to being the worst aromatic I've smoked.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
On a whim, I might even try Captain Black Grape
horror.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I tend to do a lot of orders for 1-2oz samples, which is similar. Not many of the blends I seek are available in pouch form.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Some people got a 3-for-$1 promo email for those pouches. Not me, though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's true, for quality blends at a good price, bulk is always my default purchase. However, many of the pouch brands don't come in bulk, and I became curious about some of them. I've been pleased with this trio (see original post) and I suspect that some of the Iwan Ries pouch blends are distinctive and worth trying. Now Iwan Ries offers many of their brands in tins for the added cost of a tin, which is an alternative if you have tried something and found it good. Just another way of sampling ... but not the most cost effective, it is true.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
However, many of the pouch brands don't come in bulk, and I became curious about some of them.
That's an impediment. However, on the plus side, the pouches look really cool for park bench smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pouches are portable, a little flatter than a bulk baggy, and most have that broad area that folds out and acts as a tobacco catcher for loading your pipe without scattering leaf. It's pretty convenient indoors or out. The three I bought for this sampling are all pretty nifty in terms of art/design, so they would look good in public.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good for car and other travel, fit nicely in a jeans jacket or sports jacket inside pocket. They lie flat in a drawer. On these three, the adhesive tab that hold the new pouch closed re-closes it nicely too. Not bad at all.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Personally, I am fond of setting off for a long lunt with a pouch of Prince Albert in a pocket.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's a new PC deal on 5 pouches:
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/BYOCP/2000003/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What's that, five bucks per 1.5 ounces in a portable package? Not bad, and a good selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.