Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pipes finally arrived - I knew that the stems were oxidized - however, I had no idea how much effort to fix them. When the pipes arrived (This one and a house pipe from Mullins & Westley) I was very disappointed to see the condition of the stem. I started to search the forum and the internet to make the pipes somewhat presentable with least amount of effort
I started with a Magic Eraser - but after 10 minutes with the magic eraser, I understood it would not cut it
Then I soaked the stems into a diluted bleach solution for a couple of hours. The Sasieni became nice and black, though it is now matte - the bleach has eaten away some of the materials. I buffed it again with magic eraser to remove the residual oxidation. I have ordered Micro Mesh from Amazon, which will arrive Friday, but I may not buff them down. I do like the matte look - it is better in reality than in the pictures.
Finally I finished the stem with some Coconut oil - Shiny now, though still matte. Saturday project is to sanitize it with alcohol, may be buff it with micro-mesh, finish again with coconut oil and it will be ready to smoke.
I am a little bit surprised that the pipe bowls are in good shape, but the stems isn't
Finally as promised, the pictures. I have put filters in them to enhance the feature I am trying to show
2019-07-24-193426.jpg

2019-07-24-193624.jpg

2019-07-24-193538.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Quite a job. I'd recommend mineral oil over any vegetable oil. The latter will go rancid in time. It's also fine to use on the exterior stummel.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
They look pretty good! As a rule, I avoid bleach as it pits vulcanite, and not just on the exterior, but also in the airway if there's any oxidation that has built up over time. Coconut oil will go rancid. You can use mineral oil, or you can pick up some Halcyon and/or Paragon wax and apply a very thin coating to retard oxidation and accumulated mouth crud.

Status
Not open for further replies.