Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
If a pipe is causing you issues or discomfort (or otherwise not enjoyable), put it down and see a doctor. The pipe will always be waiting for you when it's the right time.

I knew a gentleman who had to stop smoking for health reasons and he was still always seen chomping on a cigar (but not smoking it).

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I had a period of time that I had really bad shortness of breath. Doctors and allergists thought it was reflux caused by allergies. Meds didn’t work. Turns out it was anxiety. It comes and goes for me now depending on my situation.
I had a health scare last year and the shortness of breath came back too. Ymmv so still is worth getting it checked.
How did you end up figuring out it was anxiety?

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I had a period of time that I had really bad shortness of breath. Doctors and allergists thought it was reflux caused by allergies. Meds didn’t work. Turns out it was anxiety. It comes and goes for me now depending on my situation.
I had a health scare last year and the shortness of breath came back too. Ymmv so still is worth getting it checked.
I had a similar experience many years ago. I felt short of breath and like I couldn't get a full breath. It went on for a while and I finally to the doctor, convinced that I had a serious medical issue. They checked me out and found nothing amiss, and the doctor, who had probably seen this before, advised me to stop trying to get a full breath. He was that by constantly doing so, and by worrying about it, I was essentially hyperventilating myself. He told me to simply breathe normally and not worry about trying to get a full breath. He was correct in his diagnosis. In the years since then, if I get that feeling again where it seems that I can't get a full breath, I simply stop trying and breathe normally, and the feeling soon goes away.

I'd also advised getting it checked out though, because you never know.

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
If a pipe is causing you issues or discomfort (or otherwise not enjoyable), put it down and see a doctor. The pipe will always be waiting for you when it's the right time.

I knew a gentleman who had to stop smoking for health reasons and he was still always seen chomping on a cigar (but not smoking it).
I think if I had to quit the pipe, I’d live a life of misery for the rest of my days

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I had a similar experience many years ago. I felt short of breath and like I couldn't get a full breath. It went on for a while and I finally to the doctor, convinced that I had a serious medical issue. They checked me out and found nothing amiss, and the doctor, who had probably seen this before, advised me to stop trying to get a full breath. He was that by constantly doing so, and by worrying about it, I was essentially hyperventilating myself. He told me to simply breathe normally and not worry about trying to get a full breath. He was correct in his diagnosis. In the years since then, if I get that feeling again where it seems that I can't get a full breath, I simply stop trying and breathe normally, and the feeling soon goes away.

I'd also advised getting it checked out though, because you never know.
Do you know what’s so funny? I’ve experienced the same thing. The more I’m gasping for air I get panicked and it gets worse. When I keep my mind busy like watching TV, going on the phone, reading, playing video games, my breathing goes back to normal. When it goes back to normal, I still notice a sort of congestion in my chest but I don’t feel deprived of air and usually it will go away.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It sounds like an allergy, but the only way to know is to see a M.D. allergist. There are lots of health gurus who will diagnose a health problem, but I'd stick with the degreed and scientific for a preliminary baseline assessment, to not get into the weeds. Or it could be a problem not related to pipe smoking. Or it could be an allergy related to a specific tobacco or flavoring. A good allergy diagnostician could suss it out. They'd probably do skin test trying different possible allergens and go from there. Asthma is also a definite possibility; the difference between it and allergies is nuanced, but it is a separate illness.
^^^^^
+1 on this very sound advice

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Whenever I feel symptoms that affect my ability to freely breathe, I head straight to a well run pipe-forum. Sure, I could see a Dr— but where’s the fun in that!

The online diagnoses are are far more entertaining than anything someone whom went to Medical College might opt to say…

Funny getting older. Simply find a disease you like, learn all about it, and never run out of things to talk about.

Let’s hope it’s nothing serious. See your Dr

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
@Hillcrest has also mentioned having adverse reactions to burley:

I do not tolerate burley even in small amounts. I discovered this when I received a new batch of a blend I like and it had a noticeably higher amount of burley than normal and I simply couldn't smoke it. I did some research and have posted in other threads on this forum that burley has between 12 and several hundred times the amount of nitrates of other tobaccos and reacts to a particular bacteria in the mouth that converts it to nitrous oxide which is heart healthy like red wine. Some people avoid certain red wines because of high nitrate levels. But some people genetically produce more of that bacteria and therefore are more sensitive to it. It produces acidic flavor, tongue bite, sinus irritation, headache, swelling of the mouth areas etc ... So ... I avoid burleys. I do like the nutty flavors just not the effect.

So sorry....not for me. It has nothing to do with like or dislike of flavor ... So ... more for you guys !!

Reactions: Hillcrest

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So many things it could be. Might have nothing to do with the pipe too. When you smoke your pipe do you do it in the same area or conditions? You might be allergic to something environmental. If it's bothering you see a doctor if nothing else they have more experience with people with health problems then most of us here, you know cause of their job.

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Update for anyone who might be watching: went to my doc and he said my lungs sound healthy and no serious heart issues (he said I may have a bundle branch block but that is not a serious condition and unrelated to my shortness of breath). The culprit was my cat. Took a blood test and it should I was RIDICULOUSLY allergic to cats and dogs. Poor little fella, he’s got a few years left so I guess we’ll both suffer together until then

Update for anyone who might be watching: went to my doc and he said my lungs sound healthy and no serious heart issues (he said I may have a bundle branch block but that is not a serious condition and unrelated to my shortness of breath). The culprit was my cat. Took a blood test and it should I was RIDICULOUSLY allergic to cats and dogs. Poor little fella, he’s got a few years left so I guess we’ll both suffer together until then
Just avoid smoking the cat, and you'll be fine. puffy

• Haha
Reactions: ThermionicScott

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
My late wife was allergic to anything with hair. I asked if that included me. She said especially me.