PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Here's an interesting pipe. It's made by the Portland Pipe Company in England which went out of business around 1960. (1960 seems to be the Great Extinction Event year for pipe manufacturing) Pipephil.eu says that corporate era Barling picked up some of Portland's brands and made them for awhile. It could be a Portland make or a Barling made, I suppose. At any rate, I like the sharp lines, the grain and the fine fit and trim. Smokes great,
Although this pipe was crafted in Italy, Wilczak & Colwell (op. cit.) and J.M. Lopes (op. cit.) both refer to an English origin of this brand: Portland Pipe Co. After closing down of this company Barling produced some of its brands.

See also Portland by BB&S
KtKls76.jpg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
While not entirely clear to me, I think the relationship between Barling and the Portland Pipe Co goes back at least as far as the late 1930s. My belief is that the Portland Pipe Co, while a separate legal entity, was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Barling, and used by it as a vehicle to dispose of "seconds" unworthy of the Barling name. The entity was dissolved circa 1962 (perhaps as an artifact of the various transitional events taking place around that time), but many of the various Portland models apparently continued to be produced and sold directly by Barling itself.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Years back we had John Peel pipes here in Denmark.We took them as Barling seconds.

I have here a sandblasted shape 814 stamped John Peel Special and A Portland Pipe

Made wholly in England.

JP in a triangel drystamping on the stem which are the Sasieni Fantail style.

I have 4 or 5 of those sandblasts,very good pipes to smoke.
I also have had a smooth one which I gave to a freind in Norway as the pipe were stamped

"Myhre" a tobacconist in Oslo

Status
Not open for further replies.