PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Wanted to do some design research for a project I'm working on so I pulled out my small collection of Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and Mechanix Illustrated. I love the old ads and whatnot want to use them as inspiration.
Anyhow, stumbled on a Yello Bole ad from, I believe, 1946. The collection spans from '46 to '49, there could be a few pipe ads in there! Anyone interested in me taking some time to photograph or scan the ads and post them here?

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Absolutely! I love the old ads. They're a great peek into our history.
EDIT: oops, "Peek" not "Peak"

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I love the old adds, hell I love the time when they could publish tobacco and smoking related adds, now all you see are commercials with some bad mannered hipsters, crazy sounding (music?) with flashing lights saying this is the generation that quits smoking, sory, Id rather remember the generation that saved the world

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Started scanning. When posting, should I include the whole page of the magazine, or just the pipe ads?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
1) Posting the whole page may help to put the ads in a little bit more context, and

2) Those magazines were usually digest size anyway, so a full page won't take up a huge amount of space.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
Love the olden ads of yesteryear, I wonder if carter hall, or captain black tasted different back then.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those were the magazines that featured the little ads in the back that offered a military Jeep boxed in parts for an incredibly low price, $89 or something. Yes, old magazines are a study in history, and especially the ads. The ones from the teens and twenties had car ads for brands most of us have never heard of or seen. I've seen a Hupmobile and a Reo, but there were a world of brands that have gone out of business. Now Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, and Mercury have joined the long list.

Status
Not open for further replies.