PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I received a package yesterday, It might have been on my porch for 3 hrs before I brought it inside. When I opened it I noticed the lid on the One square tin was opened and sitting elsewhere in the box. It was about 28*F outside and all of the circular tins were fine. I've never had this happen before. Has anyone else experienced this?

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
The cold alone doesn't usually do this, however it is the combination of cold and mild and back again that causes this. I have had it happen only once in all of the tobacco that I have ordered, and I can only presume it was because of the extreme temperature changes, combined with a weak seal. I can say this: temperatures in a plane cargo bay are not warm to say the least, and temperatures here in Toronto can get to -30 degrees Celsius, so that doesn't help. It's rare with a good seal on tobacco. Possible, but more often than not, improbable. Be thankful it was only one tin.
Shutterbug

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Don't discount the effect of bouncing, vibration, heavy shifting on automated sorting systems, etc. that can aggravate the effect of temperature changes as well.
Repeated temperature shifts can allow pressure to build up in a tin from slow seepage, and increase over time. Just a small amount of pressure differential combined with alot of vibration, bouncing, etc. can certainly pop a tin. Round ones are more resistant than square or rectangular ones (threaded lids and all). But, not unheard of.
I've had this happen once or twice and was very lucky that the package was packed in such a way I lost less than a bowl of blend from the experience. Unless the whole tin was a loss, I'd just photo and send it to the vendor so they know it can happen. Lose the whole tin? I'd see if there was something the vendor could do.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I've had it happen a couple of times as well. Oddly enough, always to the round screw lids. Nonetheless, no big issue, just check all the seals when they arrive and and jar the ones that popped and put it in the cellar.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I didn't loose any tobacco so its not a big deal. The strange thing was the package was held up at my post office since the 12th. I called to ask them whats up and the lady apologized and said it got pulled out and was sitting in limbo and would deliver it that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.