PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi ,
I just bought myself an estate pipe off ebay . It is a Algerian Briar French pipe , but the stem has little bite marks and is dull around the mouth part . I don't know how it smokes yet and hopefully It will very well I heard good things about them . I have a Dremel so I like to polish the stem to make it decent to smoke before sending it out if I like it alot.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Photos would be a good thing.

Also:
You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
IMG_2343.jpgI don't expect to get the teeth marks out ( maybe a little dog used to smoke it ). and will show the pipe latter when I get it, in the appropriate sec. of the forum.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
View attachment 59063I don't expect to get the teeth marks out ( maybe a little dog used to smoke it ). and will show the pipe latter when I get it, in the appropriate sec. of the forum.
Oh, my, that is a mess! if it were me, I'd rub a bit of mineral oil on the stem, buff lightly, and smoke. Why polish a turd, so to speak!

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
Oh, my, that is a mess! if it were me, I'd rub a bit of mineral oil on the stem, buff lightly, and smoke. Why polish a turd, so to speak!
I was hopping to get some of it out with a deeper treatment . I could possibly sand some of it out and then polish. But would need to know what types of Materials to use. I think that's what I'll do. There's plenty of sickness to improve it a lot it certainly will not be perfect but it won't be A {Turd} as you so delicately put it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Was a bit over the top with the turd reference, perhaps!

In any event, it'd be a learning experience, but I doubt short of a titanic effort you can make that bit up bit look good.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
That’s really not bad at all. Sounds like you don’t have experience repairing stems. So start by taking a hair dryer or heat gun to it. Don’t burn it, just heat it enough to raise the tooth chatter. See what results you get with that first. If it’s still not to you liking sanding and polishing are needed.

ABel7son

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2020
New York City
That’s really not bad at all. Sounds like you don’t have experience repairing stems. So start by taking a hair dryer or heat gun to it. Don’t burn it, just heat it enough to raise the tooth chatter. See what results you get with that first. If it’s still not to you liking sanding and polishing are needed.
Thanks, I own a heat gun and polishing compound fine sandpaper and files . you should see what I found on youtube, what people are doing and I'm glad you find it "not to bad " .

Reactions: ChuckMijo

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Also:
You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.
Also:
The forum has a PM function that you can send this information with—(please!—that way it's not pasted to every other thread!)

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
For light dents use a hair dryer or heat gun to carefully heat the stem. Sometimes the dents just pop out, other times they can be pushed up from underneath with a toothpick.

For deep holes, I fill it with black apoxy or POR-15, let dry, then sand down with varying grits of micromesh pads.

Then a final coat of mineral oil.

It will look good as new.

Status
Not open for further replies.