PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

catholdings

Lurker
Jul 28, 2021
Ennis, Texas
Hello all!

I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question. If not, please correct me.

My wife has agreed to buy me a nice pipe for our anniversary coming up in a few weeks. I'm super excited. I have a few grabows, cobs, a Peterson that i bought on eBay for pennies, a Mauro Armellini, and a few other assorted cheaper pipes. I don't smoke as often as I want to and haven't been active in the community for years.
I love my pipes, but I have always really wanted a Poker shape pipe without a bend.

I'm looking for recommendations for one that would be under $150 or so to stay within a modest budget but one that would be great for the price.

Any suggestions? Thanks guys and gals. Looking forward to many more posts in the years to come.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I love pokers. Next to billiards they are my favorite shape. On the smoking pipes site there are a number of nice pokers. Just type in poker to the search button and they will all be displayed. Some to drool over and some to buy. Brebbia has a couple of nice ones in your range. They are 9mm but don't let that deter you. The Stokkebye father, friends and fire poker is really handsome and most definitely in your price range. Peterson standards are nice but fall into a specialty catergory as they are quite petite. Good luck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, do a poker search on smoking pipes.com. Some pokers will have a slight bend in the stem, so decide if that is disqualifying for you. Two of my own favorite pokers are a La Rocca and a Parker, but these brands are not widely available at the online sites I visit. I like Peterson pipes a lot, but not so much the tankard, but that's subjective. Keep an open mind on the lower price end -- an $80 poker could be as good as a $150 pipe for your purposes. Happy hunting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At Iwan Ries, check out half-price pipes on the tool bar, and click on GBD, then look for the Baronet 1800, a sandblast finish straight stem poker, original price $120, half priced at $60. This is a good traditional English pipe brand. Worth a look.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I love pokers. Next to billiards they are my favorite shape. On the smoking pipes site there are a number of nice pokers. Just type in poker to the search button and they will all be displayed. Some to drool over and some to buy. Brebbia has a couple of nice ones in your range. They are 9mm but don't let that deter you. The Stokkebye father, friends and fire poker is really handsome and most definitely in your price range. Peterson standards are nice but fall into a specialty catergory as they are quite petite. Good luck.
Tankards not standards...damn autocorrect

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Have some pokers. Not my favorite, but they do feel nice in hand. And they are sitters. Not sure why I'm not found of them. They are not in rotation, and used only for OTC.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My first pipe was a bent poker, a Tinder Box St. Ives that still smokes great. It must be over 40 years old. I just had some Royal Yacht in my Ropp bent poker, another good little cooker.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
At Iwan Ries, check out half-price pipes on the tool bar, and click on GBD, then look for the Baronet 1800, a sandblast finish straight stem poker, original price $120, half priced at $60. This is a good traditional English pipe brand. Worth a look.
I just took a look at that one, my impression...what's up with that stem???

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Reactions: Chasing Embers

catholdings

Lurker
Jul 28, 2021
Ennis, Texas
Thanks guys!! Guess I have some homework to do. Not a fan of the bent stems, mostly because I have plenty of pipes with bent stems.
I'll check out some others that were mentioned. Can't wait to get back to you later.

Reactions: Kal and OzPiper