PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LEP7cv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2020
Portugal
Hello fellows pipers!
I recently bought these, ranger and pipo from BigBen around 10 cms / 4 inches , I know they've also got the 108S
I grew fond of pocket pipes! Can anyone post theirs and tell me what other pipes are there in this category that I might like?
DSC_0702.JPG

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I have three that I consider pocket pipes. A Nording Compass pipe (5”, .8oz); handmade pipe by alekasandr bondarev (5.35”, .88oz), Vauen 3422 ny pipe (5.2”, 1.06 oz). The vauen is one of my favorite pipes of any size. I get a 30-40 min smoke, bowl never heats up, perfect clencher, perfect draw even with a 9mm filter. One of my favorite pipes - used to smoke it on my commute to work and still smoke it at home.

The Nording feels like a toy to me. I hate the tiny bit and never smoke it. In my opinion avoid.

The Bondarev is a very well made pipe. He is in latvia and has a website and some youtube videos. I think his pipes are extremely well engineered but not so great in terms of artistic sense. Pipe smokes great and is a perfect clencher BUT word of caution generally - the walls are on the thin side and the bowl heats up. That has improved as the pipe has broken in, but IMO if you are looking for a pocket pipe or any pipe I would be very careful with sub 1 oz pipes.
D6125003-5CC5-441B-8A41-0924C48D6CFA.jpeg

LEP7cv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2020
Portugal
I have three that I consider pocket pipes. A Nording Compass pipe (5”, .8oz); handmade pipe by alekasandr bondarev (5.35”, .88oz), Vauen 3422 ny pipe (5.2”, 1.06 oz). The vauen is one of my favorite pipes of any size. I get a 30-40 min smoke, bowl never heats up, perfect clencher, perfect draw even with a 9mm filter. One of my favorite pipes - used to smoke it on my commute to work and still smoke it at home.

The Nording feels like a toy to me. I hate the tiny bit and never smoke it. In my opinion avoid.

The Bondarev is a very well made pipe. He is in latvia and has a website and some youtube videos. I think his pipes are extremely well engineered but not so great in terms of artistic sense. Pipe smokes great and is a perfect clencher BUT word of caution generally - the walls are on the thin side and the bowl heats up. That has improved as the pipe has broken in, but IMO if you are looking for a pocket pipe or any pipe I would be very careful with sub 1 oz pipes.
View attachment 60922
That Vauen seems pretty interesting, but it could be a little smaller, let search more about it! Thanks for your insight!

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
If I want to bring a pipe with me somewhere I usually throw my Briarworks Straight Dublin (their C61 shape) in my pocket. They're great pipes and a it has bounced around in my pocket a lot so it seems pretty durable. All the Briarworks pipes I have smoke great and I like the look of them as well so that's an added bonus.

Jun 23, 2019
They have those half-moon "pocket pipes" by name where the stem spins 180 to fit in your dress shirt pocket.

Personally, I use a variety of Bones pipes and pipe socks.

qAn76NHl.jpg

IMHO, the quintessential pocket pipe is the Al Pascia' Curvy. These are great little smokers and the leather zip up bowl case is a great accessory (not included). Oh, and they are Reverse Calabash too so you get a very cool, dry smoke.

They're not a cheap pipe, but demand is really good so they sell out pretty quickly. I just checked the website and there are a few available in odd colors. The natural finish offerings sell out almost immediately.

IMG_5111.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many small and medium size pipes fit well into a pocket, especially the inside pocket of a jacket. Trouser pockets aren't so good because a stem can get bent and broken. Along those lines, good features on a pocket pipe are a thick shank and stem, and a fairly short stem that isn't going to be snapped. The Stanwell 86 pot designed by Sixten Iversson is a good pocket pipe. Some Devil Anse fill the bill, but I don't like the association with a bloodthirsty patriarch. Some of the MM special edition pipes are short and solid enough to serve the purpose. My in-state go-to carver Jerry Perry made a nice one he pulled from under the counter just for me, it seemed, with the described short length and thick stem and shank.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Hello fellows pipers!
I recently bought these, ranger and pipo from BigBen around 10 cms / 4 inches , I know they've also got the 108S
I grew fond of pocket pipes! Can anyone post theirs and tell me what other pipes are there in this category that I might like?
View attachment 60911
Here's a thread from 2 years ago you might find interesting.

Reactions: ofafeather

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
The Briarworks OR01 chubby apple is a fantastic little pocket pipe, it holds almost exactly the same amount of tobacco that you'd stuff in a king size cigarette tube.

The Briarworks OR05 is a chubby tomato--it's still pocket sized, but with a fat bowl and a significantly larger chamber than the OR01.

The Moonshine Pot Still is in similar territory, except it's a chubby billiard/pot shape and not as fat as the OR05.

The Al Pascia Curvys are excellent smokers, small army mount reverse calabashes with deceptively large bowls, that are very quick and easy to clean. As ChasingEmbers said, the Curvy 01 (and 03, a bit) are basically fat reverse calabash Big Ben Barbados 647s. The Curvy 02 is a conventional straight brandy-ish billiard shape, and a lot like a fat reverse calabash Big Ben Barbados 648.

The Big Ben Barbados 647 and 648 are great pocket pipes too, and take 9mm filters if you're into that.

The Big Ben Bora 576 is slightly longer than the Barbados 647/648 but still in pocket territory. Good pipes, and also take 9mm filters.

The Big Ben Ranger is another nice pocket pipe, but it has a stinger and is a bit more prone to gurgling as a result.

Those are just the ones in my collection that stood out as decent pocket pipes, and isn't an exhaustive list.