PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Anyone else a fan of “pocket pipes”. I have three that i think fit that category ranging from inexpensive to pricey. A No69356A32-22DC-493D-9953-B8CAD17DD416.jpegrding Compass, a handmade Bondarev lovat, and a vauen NY pipe. Including a sav 673 ks in the photo for comparison. I find that the smaller pipes still give me more than enough smoking time - usually around 40-45 minutes. And so easy to clench. All three are under an ounce and around 5.3 inches. The vauen is a fantastic smoker and i just got the bondarev and am breaking it in. Not a big fan of the nording. Downsides are that they can feel a bit “toy like” in the hand and bowl can get hot if smoked too quickly. But i dont find they otherwise lose anything in smokability. By contrast the 673, which is the same length but and ounce heavier, is less pleasant to clench but feels better in the hand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have several, which are short, and thick shanked and stemmed for durability. The only kind I would recommend against are those little flat ones with the swivel stems that are irresistibly cute, and sold by the thousands, often at a low price, than no one ever smokes more than once. Well, maybe some do, but most don't. That's the one pipe-buying trapped I've avoided.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have quite a few. A Nording Compass as well, Cobs galore, etc. But my favorite one is for sure my Chris Paulson Devil Anse:

31ca4dba-d335-4834-8f95-3bf625c47399-jpeg.22942

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those special edition MM cobs with acrylic stems make good pocket pipes, with ample bowls and short thick stems. The Stanwell bulldog 32 makes a good pocket pipe, as does their Sixten Iversson designed "pot" that isn't cylindrical. I wouldn't choose anything with a slender stem, although some are sturdier than others, nor anything with a long stem that might get snapped by leverage in your pocket. Most Petes are somewhat too large, and their tiny Belgique are too slender for sure. Jerry Perry, the N.C. pipe carver, pulled a little pocket pipe out from under the counter at his State Fair booth and commended it to me one year, and though I shopped all his pipes, I finally chose that one, so compact and very solid.

Reactions: sholto

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
I mostly smoke on the go, so being abel to fit in a pocket is almost a must for my pipes.

My favourite bar none is my Peterson System Standard 317. Very practical fits in most pockets and you don't have to worry about bending and damaging the mortise or tenon with an army mount that you also can take apart hot if needed to fit in a tight pocket. I really like the utilitarian and pocket friendly aspects of army mounts.

I have two Nörding Compass but unfortunately the stems no longer fit tight and just yesterday the stummel dropped from one of them while I was clenching it, hitting the concrete garage floor and getting dinged. Thinking about epoxying the stems to the stummels on them.

I wouldn't call my rather large Rossi 8614 Oom Paul a pocket pipe but the heavily bent shape makes it fit well in many not to small pockets.

Reactions: sholto and Casual

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
I have quite a few. A Nording Compass as well, Cobs galore, etc. But my favorite one is for sure my Chris Paulson Devil Anse:

31ca4dba-d335-4834-8f95-3bf625c47399-jpeg.22942
That is beautiful!

Currently, I guess all mine are. I have a MM little devil, MM Morgan, and a Morgan Bones Stubby Anse.

I plan on ordering a Morgan Bones ONE pipe for my actual “pocket pipe.” It’s all briar and 30-40 min smokes from what I’ve been told.

Reactions: sholto

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That is beautiful!

Currently, I guess all mine are. I have a MM little devil, MM Morgan, and a Morgan Bones Stubby Anse.

I plan on ordering a Morgan Bones ONE pipe for my actual “pocket pipe.” It’s all briar and 30-40 min smokes from what I’ve been told.
OOPS! His name is Eric Paulson, sorry, had a brain fart. But at 1.25 x .87 this anse offers at least an hour of smoking time for me, esp with flakes or plugs.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
OOPS! His name is Eric Paulson, sorry, had a brain fart. But at 1.25 x .87 this anse offers at least an hour of smoking time for me, esp with flakes or plugs.
I liked his version of the Costner Devil Anse model so much, I ordered a second one, in a different finish and stem color. I also use them for flakes (and coins, occasionally). They weigh so little, and are ideal little clenching pipes.

Reactions: radrick96

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I also have one of the Al Pascia Curvy nosewarmer pipes (reverse calabash) that I bought unsmoked from an eBay sale. It's a fine little pipe, but not as small and practical as the Paulson Devil Anses.

Reactions: radrick96
Status
Not open for further replies.