PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Several tobaccos I like are plugs and cakes. Cakes are no problem, but with plugs I always had the same problems as I do with some flakes -- basically I end up with rubbed out asbestos, or cubes that require endless relights if I don't pay attention for two minutes.

I finally tried something different. With a very sharp knife, I went for a shave off the plug, yielding two _extremely_ thin sheets. Rubbing it out yielded a shag that doesn't smoke like a shag (regarding the downsides of shag). Without drying, I found it to smoke perfectly, have more flavor (it seemed to me) and still lasted quite long. I never would have believed I could go through a bowl of Peterson's Perfect Plug (one of your denser plugs) on one initial light, but I did.

Anyone else have particular ways they prepare plugs (or even flakes for that matter)?

IMG_20200619_150537.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Several tobaccos I like are plugs and cakes. Cakes are no problem, but with plugs I always had the same problems as I do with some flakes -- basically I end up with rubbed out asbestos, or cubes that require endless relights if I don't pay attention for two minutes.

I finally tried something different. With a very sharp knife, I went for a shave off the plug, yielding two _extremely_ thin sheets. Rubbing it out yielded a shag that doesn't smoke like a shag (regarding the downsides of shag). Without drying, I found it to smoke perfectly, have more flavor (it seemed to me) and still lasted quite long. I never would have believed I could go through a bowl of Peterson's Perfect Plug (one of your denser plugs) on one initial light, but I did.

Anyone else have particular ways they prepare plugs (or even flakes for that matter)?

View attachment 33767
That’s how I cut it. I take the small end of the plug and whittle chips off. Then rub them out.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I smoke plug everyday. Everyone has their preferred method of preparation. I slice it with an iron blade pen knife by holding the plug in my hand gripped by my middle finger and the other two and then cut the plug so the tobacco collects in my hand. If I am in a beer garden then I go with the thin slices, like wise in the office since I can use something to cut the plug on such as the table, my desk, magazine, junk mail flyers etc. You can cut fresh Warrior Plug so fine that it resembles RYO tobacco.

Ulu knives work great and very controllable. For a more elaborate method there is always a plug cutter from the 1800's They can be had quite reasonably(well, around a hundred bucks shipped) on eBay.

Here's a link to the first one that popped up. There are a bunch of them since every drug store in the 1800's and early 1900's had one mounted on the counter and they are made of cast iron = nearly indestructible.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
My plug slicer, via Amazon:
20191010_202907-jpg.13351

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I smoked plugs often, I think I would have a more developed way of prepping them, though I really enjoy them. Usually, I just cut slices and rub them out, and they light up well, burn pretty evenly, and burn as slowly as similar cuts like flake, coin, or rope. I think all these cuts retain full flavor longer in the jar. It's that little extra time prepping that steers me toward loose tobacco of various cuts, though I can remove that obstacle by prepping several bowls at once. Their drying out over several days is not noticeable to me, or may actually be a benefit.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I smoke plug everyday. Everyone has their preferred method of preparation. I slice it with an iron blade pen knife by holding the plug in my hand gripped by my middle finger and the other two and then cut the plug so the tobacco collects in my hand. If I am in a beer garden then I go with the thin slices, like wise in the office since I can use something to cut the plug on such as the table, my desk, magazine, junk mail flyers etc. You can cut fresh Warrior Plug so fine that it resembles RYO tobacco.
Yes I believe what I have found is to shave off a plug to RYO. It's an epiphany to me, however simple :)

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It certainly does in my book :). I have a block of Salty Dogs -- I'm going to try it with that next. What is the "incorrect" method you employ?
I was using a knife almost identical to the one in the OP picture (it's a Japanese knife that I can't remember what it's called) but I've been practicing with this brass dragon handheld antique cutter I bought:

cutter.JPG

The problem I'm having is the hinge is a little loose so halfway through my slice tends to get thicker or thinner. Kinda like a cheese slice gone awry.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
I was using a knife almost identical to the one in the OP picture (it's a Japanese knife that I can't remember what it's called) but I've been practicing with this brass dragon handheld antique cutter I bought:

View attachment 33784

The problem I'm having is the hinge is a little loose so halfway through my slice tends to get thicker or thinner. Kinda like a cheese slice gone awry.
“Kinda like a cheese slice gone awry.” :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS