PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I am awaiting an order from www.smokingpipes.com, sent via UPS.
My shipment left Myrtle Beach yesterday, went to Raleigh, thence to Springfield, VA (24 miles from my house).
The on-line tracker says it's now in Horsham, PA (180 miles from my house). It is scheduled for delivery in the afternoon tomorrow, which means it has to come back to Springfield.
I assume this is part of some streamlining protocol - maybe because packages are bundled into pallets, wrapped up in plastic, and grouped so as to be unwrapped most efficiently. Anybody ever work for them and have an answer? It seems inefficient to me, but that may be because I want my order.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
I thought so - it's like not being able to get a direct flight to anywhere but a hub...

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If you got free shipping there is very good chance it is being shipped via UPS SmartPost. This means that the final delivery of the package will by USPS and there will also be a second Tracking Number associated with USPS and no longer UPS.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Shipping has nothing to do with the shortest distance between shipper and you, but rather the shortest distance between hubs... and then you.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
All has to do with the distribution hubs. All the carriers have their systems.
I sent something from Austin to Waco, TX a few weeks ago. Waco is only about 100 miles north. The USPS box went all the way to Dallas (twice as far) for sorting then back down to Waco.

Heads up on UPS and Fedex, I was in a business meeting where I learned that these two carriers have been operating on a deal forced on USPS to carry their packages for free (or reduced rate) for years and years now. Thus, our stamps have been supporting these private businesses for decades. Very, very soon, the USPS will no longer have to cater to these two competitors any longer, and UPS and Fedex rates will sky rocket, while the USPS prices will drop.
These guys who run UPS stores will soon be offering pick up in their stores for most of the Amazon purchases that you make.
For those of us who ship things as a part of their business will soon be saying adios to UPS and Fedex, thank goodness!!
Just a friendly tidbit of info for those who need to know.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
UPS, FedEx & USPS have been partnering for a while now. With the closure of many USPS facilities and trucking to others will add a day or 2 to what was normal. I ship to customers every day FedEx or UPS & am very happy. Do direct mail for clients through USPS & very happy.

USPS just doesn't know that we are working together & regs suck.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I am a big advocate for using USPS Priority Mail. I pretty ship everything that way.
You get tracking just like UPS and Fedex and I have never had a problem with a package yet... knock on wood.
For example, if I order from SP and pay to have it shipped Priority, I always get the package in exactly two business days. Like clock work. Was the same way with P&C before they moved to PA. After the move it added an extra day.
However, if I order from SP and get the free shipping, the package will always take exactly 5 business days. The last order I did that arrived today was surprisingly here in 4. That order was placed late in the evening on Sunday, this past weekend. If you calculate the checkout price on SP (assuming the order is under the $95 free ship bargain) you will see that USPS and UPS are usually within less than a dollar of each other. I really wish they offered free shipping via Priority.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hub mania. Just be glad it isn't YOU who are making the trip. If you want to go from a major city

to a small city in a less populated area, you may be connected, more than once. At one time, in

the Midwest, you could almost go door to door on public transportation ... on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.