PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Here is my collection. I store my pipes in a spare closet to keep them away from natural light, and they are all racked on simple wood pipe stands.
The Collection:

20150202_1735301-337x600.jpg

The Closet:

20150202_173646-337x600.jpg

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Stands and whatnot. Here is my Stand situation 25-30 pipes ago. I have sold about 8 but again gathered 18-22 more. lol
pipe-cave.jpg

Not shown are the 25-30 junker pipes that came in group auctions that I am saving for when I get the right buffer wheel/tools to start refurbing pipes in earnest.
I need to sell off some pipes. I am just bad at photography.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
North American (danish inspired shapes):
11 Rad Davis

7 Stephen Downie

4 David McCarter
Some odds and ends.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great stuff guys and please show us how you store your pipes. I keep all of my good ones in my Savinelli case( which has tinted glass to protect them) or a case for my seven day set of Rads which I store in my bedroom on a night stand. I close the lid on the case when I open the windows as I do not want light to get at my 7 day set.
This is a stock pick of my Savinelli case. It is currently full.

This pic of my rack was back when I only had 13 artisan made pipes. Today 18 of those pipes in the pic are gone and have been replaced by artisan made pipes and one Castello Occhio Di Pernice. It is interesting to see how my collecction has changed in a short time.

Here is a pic of my Rad Daavis seven day set and the cabinet that holds them. I only keep the top open when I have the shades drawn in my bedroom, which is most of the time as I want the pipes to breath.

Pat, your collection has really grown, nice going.
Al, those pics are great. Have you ever smoked a Willmer? You should grab one just to see how great they smoke. You can get them for short money at times. I still own a AAA Straight Grain and it is one of the best pieces of briar in my collection. The stems are not great as they can be too constricted, but you can fix anything so it might be worth it to you to try one. The two I owned were some serious wood. I sold one of them to a member here whose name I cannot remember but you know him as he was the most prolific poster this site has ever seen. He loves his Willmer, damn I cannot freaking remember his name, but he had over 12k posts, please remind me who he is.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Harris,
It was Ronth (Rothn, Rotnh, whatever) who had 15k posts and loved Willmers.
Even though I could never remember how to spell his simple name, I miss him a lot.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I've been privileged to be invited to view some staggeringly amazing collections in private hands. I had no idea and it redefined what I understand to be a major collection. In comparison, my collection doesn't even constitute a grease spot. And exactly none of these collections are racked, nor on view. They're all cased, or in fitted drawers and that's where the pipes are kept when not being smoked.
Government_Warehouse.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
wyfbane, it was Roth, thanks for reminding me. I also miss him as he was a wealth of info and he was great for the new smokers. He would answer any question the new smoker would ask, time and time again.
elbert, that pic is from Raiders of the Lost Ark isn't it?

Dec 24, 2012
Lifeon makes me seem like a model of moderation. I just did the math and came out with about 340 pipes.
The factory pipe that leads the pack is Castello at 42. The highest represented artisan is Cooke at 27, followed by Rad at 21 and Parks at 17.
Sable, I believe Harris got that case from Mike at briarblues.com

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
That's right, Harris! So if one of those crates holds the Ark of the Covenant and the rest hold pipes, that means....a lot of damn pipes!
Don't let Peck fool you. Last I heard he was refurbishing one of the old Minuteman missile silos into a pipe cabinet.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love seeing this stuff. I re-purposed an old oak, bow-front cabinet for my pipes. My "Scottie" stands are on the top row. Three, six-pipe "Fairfax" brand vintage racks across the other rows. I added some LED lighting. Cat free but I have to keep the room shaded. I've toyed with the idea of adding some tint to the glass but fear breaking those curved panels.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I use a couple of repurposed wooden medicine cabinets (three shelf). Each will hold 36 pipes. They are available in most of the building supply stores at pretty reasonable prices. The ones I have can stand alone or be wall mounted. They come with glass or mirror doors. I use the mirrored ones to keep the direct sunlight off the stems. You can use them with independent pipe stands or buy those little plastic individual pipe holders (China on Ebay) and screw them into the shelf from the bottom. The cabinets are available in a number of different finishes. It's an inexpensive way to bring order to chaos.

indyjg

Lurker
May 10, 2013
Currently have 15 pipes all Italian - 10 Claudio Cavicchi, 4 Tonino Jacono, and 1 Radice. Cavicchi and Jacono are my main collection interests. The Radice was my first new pipe I ever purchased and I'll always keep. All 15 are wonderful smokers. Mix of rusticated, sandblasts, and smooths; different shapes; and straights and bents. Bent Apples are my favorite shape and I do prefer bent pipes over straights.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I don't really see myself as a collector: I get what appeals to my eye and if it will advance my smoking pleasure, so I have about 25 pipes, most of them Peterson billiards. Many are duplicates: for instance, I have 3 107 Irish Harps. I have three Nording freehands, an H&H Signature simply because it is a huge billiard, some Peterson bent billiards, and a few churchwardens. (I want to get a sandblasted HCA when finances allow it, and the MM Cobbits are great.) With one or two exceptions, I think I have most of the pipes I want and need. In general I try to avoid really exotic pipes; my brief ownership of a volcano demonstrated that most unusual shapes are not for me. Lately, I've discovered the joys of a Rhodesian--I now have a 999 Drac and expect to get an Irish Harp of that pipe, but that will have to wait. (That's the great thing about factory pipes: you know they will always be available.) So I guess I'm a poor excuse for a pipe collector. And I try to keep my tobacco collections limited: currently my favorites in bulk are Trout Stream, 1500 Red Cake, and Creme Brûlée. In tins, I stick to ready cut and rolled tobaccos like Golden Extras, Cherry Ambrosia, some Sutliff Private Stock. Sure, I'd like to own a Dunhill or a Castillo, buy these pipes are simply too expensive, and I suspect in many of these cases you are paying for name rather than a quality pipe.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
My collection is really more of a rotation. I have 6 pipes that I smoke regularly and then another 2 cheap briars and a cob that I smoke very rarely. Unfortunately I don't have the disposable income to really collect pipes, but maybe I will someday. I tend to lean towards straight or slightly bent rusticated or sandblasted pipes. Most of my pipes are straight or 1/8-1/4 bent at most. I also tend to like fairly classic shapes. I don't find myself often drawn to freehands (though there are some I like). My pipes are factory pipes comprised of 2 Petersons, 2 Stanwells, a Savinelli, and a Castello.
If I had the funds I'd probably pick up some more Castellos, a Claudio Cavicchi or two, a Ferndown, an Ashton, and a Dunhill. Those to me are the "classics" that I want to own someday. Of course, as with all things, I'm sure after I had those I'd find something else I wanted. The Mark Tinsky's I've seen have looked nice...

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
At this time I have 504 pipes, of these take away 15 that are cobs, 9 that are Meerschaum , 24 that are clay or porcelain which leaves me 456 briar pipes of which 204 of those are Kaywoodies. Dating from my earliest from 1919-1924 period , pre-36 period and pre war period. The other 252 are a mixed breed of Peterson, Stanwell, Yello-bole, Grabow, Medico, Martin, Wally Frank, Butz-Choquin, WDC, Ropp, GBD, Dunhill, Upshall, Comoy, Barling, Sasieni, Ben Wade, Nording, and slew of American, English, Italian, Danish, and French estates. I have a fondness for pre-55 Kaywoodies but love all woodies regardless of age. I have a few commissioned pipes, one from Ryan Edward (Lonestar) and several from a local carver who has since passed on named Marvin Martin. I hope to add more commissioned pipes from American artisans as the years go by.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
"Collecting focus"? Those who waste large amounts of cash hordding tobacco and expensive pipes are seriously damaged and obviously lack focus. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.