4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really starting to get a good feel for what I like and what I don't like in tobaccos and blends.

Lately, I am finding a slightly objectionable trait in some tobaccos that are absolutely non-existent on others. When retrohaling, I find myself getting hit pretty hard in the sinuses with some tobaccos, like Wasabe or horseradish only less intense and it makes my eyes water and ultimately causes me to sneeze.

While I very much enjoy an occasional sneeze, I don't care at all for the sinus burning. When not retrohaling, it manifests itself as a tingle on my tongue my like the onset of tongue bite which causes me angst. I am still observing this trait and am unable to pinpoint what component(s) cause this.

Any ideas from the Table of Elders?

Also, Latakia seems to be very polarizing and I am still trying to figure out why... Correlative?

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
well that's your bodies way of saying "NO! Stop doing this thing to me". I'd bet it's got a lot to do with the PH of what you're smoking or temp. Might be too hot or two acidic or basic. Why is latakia polarizing? Well cause it's got a very love or hate taste. Sometimes I feel like I may be one of ten smokers that considers latakia alright but also something I could live without.

Reactions: boston

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yup, please provide the blends' names so that we can take a look at their contents.

Seconding Anotherbob, and at the risk of sounding like an irritant, nagging scold, I'd suggest to stop snorking. At the very least, don't snork those blends you know cause you grief. I have sinus issues myself and I can tell you that sharp pain behind the ear is anything but fun.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I always just assumed it was heat. Blends that burn hotter (VAs, etc.) always seem to be much more irritating on the retrohale unless carefully sipped. Aromatics and English blends breeze right through without the slightest of annoyance IME. IDK, no idea.

Reactions: sandollars

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Sometimes you have puff through the pain. If it's possible without too much issue, slow down the cadance and let your palate and nose understand and taste the blend. It can be that it's burning too hot due to it being to wet or that you are perhaps pulling to hard.

If all else fails, just toss it out and start over with a new blend.

It happens a lot with VaPers. The last time it happened was 2013 Elizabethan. I have been smoking English and Balkans since = does not happen. I am a super slow smoker, often making a size 4 pipe last 90 minutes to 2 hours. Of course that is relighting it.

#alaskanpiper, you might be onto something. It might just be heat. I will try the same Elizabethan tonight but go much slower and keep it lit. I might be burning my sinuses on the relights......

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I can't retrohale anything with perique for the same reasons you describe. Burns the throat and sinuses, kind of like when you go swimming and get some chlorinated water up your nose. Doesn't feel good.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I can't retrohale anything with perique for the same reasons you describe. Burns the throat and sinuses, kind of like when you go swimming and get some chlorinated water up your nose. Doesn't feel good.
Bingo! I have to swim because of back pain, but even the chlorinated water 'fumes' make my sinuses act up. I'd also blame it on the perique, but careful observation and experimentation is required by @sandollars, as different individuals have different anatomical and physiological idiosincrasies. If you insist on snorking, don't retrohale when (re)lighting: this because the lighting pulls the greatest amount of smoke in and also so as to rule out heat as being the irritant.

Heat might be a cause, but I don't think it's just that. It might not be heat at all. Some blends DO have a particular chemical make-up that causes irritation: I've learned that what I used to call burn or even bite is actually after-taste.

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
It happens a lot with VaPers. The last time it happened was 2013 Elizabethan. I have been smoking English and Balkans since = does not happen. I am a super slow smoker, often making a size 4 pipe last 90 minutes to 2 hours. Of course that is relighting it.

#alaskanpiper, you might be onto something. It might just be heat. I will try the same Elizabethan tonight but go much slower and keep it lit. I might be burning my sinuses on the relights......
I get the same with VaPers regardless of my cadence. Activated charcoal filter resolves it in my case. Something about the perique just doesn't agree with me.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I don't have a seat at the table of elders, but it sounds like the old "perique tickle" to me. One of my favorite sensations. You might try to suss it out by smoking a Lat blend that has a lot of perique in it.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I vote for Perique. Strong blends occasionally irritate my sinuses and I try not to retrohale in that case or abbandon them until further notice, makes me happier and they will have time to age in the meantime.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Hmm, you guys got me interested in reaching for the few periquated blends I have, to see if I can replicate the problem. Escudo? Anniversary Kake? Sam's Blend? El Niño? Nightcap? Wessex Classic Virginia? .... Which one? Which one has the most perique? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.