PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I have enough tobacco to last 2 life times and through a concerted effort I avoided the P&C sale. But I am having trouble with the SPC C&D sale. I have filled my cart many times and let it expire and filled it again.
Now I want you all to talk me down from buying more, please.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Just think of all the people you are helping stay employed through your purchases. I too have enough to last a lifetime, but I always remind myself that I have a duty to help ensure the pipe smoking hobby is around for future generations and so I do my part and continue to buy more...and so should you.
You don't need to buy much. Just enough to get the free shipping is all. :puffy:

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I am 69.I have about 400 pipes that I not smoked yet.

You have tobacco for two life times.

There must be something wrong with our brains.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Put some pkgs together, post pics of em and sell raffle tickets and get rid of about 80%.

I've watched your particular case of TAD with growing dismay, and I'm here to help if I can.

This is not something that is unique to yourself, of course, but you do have it bad.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Jensen and zito need to hang out and fill those unsmoked pipes with that unopened tobacco. Problem solved...your welcome.

Oct 7, 2016
I have sold some things here lately and have maybe 3 or 4 more small package deals to offer, going to the post office once a week. The proceeds have been enough to load up on McClellands bulk at 25% off at Pipes and Cigars, a backorder that will be filled at some point, I hope, and leave me some dry powder for the next flash sale or whatever.
Just trim the excess. You don't have to get rid of anything you like completely, just some of your over stock. And try to be fair. If you have things that are currently available at one of the discounters, be competitive. You might lose a little, but it could mean a lot to the person on the other end.
So far, it has worked for me. YMMV

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you really want to desist (at least to some degree) get more involved with all of the blends that you do have, try some mixes, change your rotation, trade with others. Do a complete cleaning of all of your pipes. Work on five new original posts for Forums. Stay away from the online retails sites and other tobacco sources for a week. Etc.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Alright...alright. Since this was probably a genuine cry for help here's my advice:
1. Don't click on any retail sites when you're on the computer. Resist the urge to see what the monthly deals are and what is new or on sale. Ignorance is bliss. If you're unaware then you'll not be tempted. This worked for me for most of the past year when I headed my own advice.
2. Don't click on forum threads that you know will fan the flame so to speak. Often our covetous hearts want what we don't have or even more of what we already possess.
3. I recommend slowing down the pace of your pipe smoking and appreciate the process of selecting a blend to smoke and develop a ritual of sorts where you take your time smelling the blend, selecting the perfect pipe, and puffing away slowly. Take time to reflect on what it is your smoking, the nuances of what you smell and taste, and start a journal recording your thoughts about each blend and how they develop or change with different pipes or quantities smoked. This will give you a greater appreciation of the giant cellar you own and will make you content with what you already have.
4. When you fear you may fall off the wagon and give in to the temptation...instead of placing yet another order for yet another blend that everyone is raving about why not dig into your vast treasury and offer some tins to trade another brother for what you want. Doing this will grow the camaraderie on the board and you'll end up not increasing the volume of your hoard.
My 2 pipe cleaners...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In three weeks, I've bought six Savinelli 904s, two Dunhills, and forty pounds of tobacco. We are all out of control! 8O

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
In the spirit of, "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase.", I often spend time crafting the perfect shopping cart full of my dreams.
Then, I put the computer to sleep and go do something else for a while.
I come back later and review the cart. Then I happily think of the money I just saved as I close out the browser with no purchase.
It's a psychological fear of loss that they use to keep us focused and coming back. Once you demonstrate to yourself that you can walk away and get it any time later, you break the emotional bonds.
I go through this with rifles, ammo, motorcycles, vaping gear and now pipes and tobacco.
Get what you really want and really need. But don't be afraid to walk away to protect your own self interest.
If you go too far the other way, we're always here to "re-enable" you, if necessary... :mrgreen:
Jay :nana:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a site that lives on sponsorship and ads, I guess we shouldn't emphasize cultivating sales resistance. Still, you need to keep your life in balance. A local woman here wrote the newspaper accusing the local pipe shop of alienation of affection of her husband who had accumulated hundreds of pipes. So keep the pipe interest a hallmark of a harmonious and well-balanced life.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Even I, have pit falls sometimes. Yesterday in a desperate attempt to enjoy some "good" tobacco, (as cosmic calls it) and break away from my everyday Carter Hall, I ordered an 8oz tub of Cornell and Diehls "Briar Fox". So I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival... First new tobacco I've bought in years.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Instead of buying more tobacco when you already have stated you have enough to last until your death and beyond use that money towards another hobby, project completion in your home, savings, investing etc.
That will solve the problem and you will have spent the money just in a different way.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have 25 cobs, 35 briars and ~150 pounds of tobacco. I don't need any more of either, but when I get money, and even if I don't get it, the first thing I think of is buying more, of both. I've gotten some great pipes for less than $100.00, but the pipes that I will settle for are $200.00-$300.00. When I order tobacco I think in increments of at least a pound, always cognizant of buying enough to save shipping.
As I do this longer, I'm better at curbing my spending, but it seems this desire is here to stay. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.