Please Help. Tobacco Mixture Tastes Like Rotten Eggs.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
60 Fresh Neerup Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Zero. :LOL:. I have not had a chance to try any of those blends. I do find that the blends I have really taken a liking to like Sutliff 999 and Cult Profile are more mesmerizing than say Carter Hall. I can smoke Carter Hall without really thinking I suppose.

On the egg flavor thing, I did get a very sulfuric flavor last night smoking some Autumn Evening. I blame the matches and constant relighting. It didn't taste like eggs per se, but it did taste like sulfur.

I would say to each their own in terms of the finding the “pack and light” tobacco. Also getting a pocket, light pipe definitely helps. puffy But in terms of the taste, I said I’m not too experienced in pipe smoking, and I tried my best in describing the foul taste. As of now, I learned a new method, which is the ”breath method” which makes me smoke my pipe very slowly to not overheat the bowl, and get most out of the flavor. Amazing results so far.:)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I try to mix pipe smoking with other activities I find the pipe distracts me. While my mind can wander while smoking a pipe, I can't smoke it mindlessly and it doesn't quell a craving in the same way.
Wait a while, I have a pipe going regardless of what I'm doing.

It also takes more planning on the front end.
Pack, light, smoke. Too much thinking about it would ruin it for me.

I see guys everywhere here in my part of Alabama. There was a guy in the truck behind me smoking a pipe as I was running some errands. And, when I take the wife to the mall, I will sometimes set at the edge of the parking deck, and usually there is one other pipe smoker around on some days. Most of our fire department smokes pipes, as well as our police chief, and our previous mayor smoked a pipe.
But, we also have The Briary and a few other pipe shops around this area. Plus, we don't have any anti-smoking laws.

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
After marinating over a half year: Is your problem solved by now- I hope!

Was it a new pipe when you had the problem of sulphur odor?
Oh long live my first post!

I honestly still have no clear idea, but I have some clues. First yes the pipe I bought was new at the time. It seemed that I was over puffing and not seeping it, and that turned the tobacco acridiy and sour. But I honestly never got that taste again. I bought different Elizabethan tins and never occured to me except that “one” tin. And even that tin was fine as long as I puffed on it slowly, or rather ”sipped the tobacco. I use charcoal filters, and I do blame them to a degree from getting oversoaked and producing all those acrid flavours. But honestly it was not tar-acrid taste, it was genuinely a sort of rotten egg.

That exact pipe I have smoked the Elizabethan mixture in has soured and has a weird funky taste which seems it is beyond repair. I have tried every method from a water cleaning “method” that I believe you have founded. I cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol till I saw the bear wood on the chamber, still it smoked sour and that weird funky taste came back as soon as I lit it. I honestly have no idea why, and I may post a forum soon on it. For now, I am trying to find what is wrong with it.

Now that I am thinking about it, that pipe was my first pipe. I smoked it to hell. Every day about 3-4 bowls with no day rests for about 5 months, and even after I bought another pipe, it was my first choice since it was a pocket pipe and pretty portable. The Elizabethan mixture issue was early on, and this “sourness“ issue of the pipe is more recent. I realized this sourness issue when I when I bought about 6 new pipes, So I’m figuring the pipe was sour from the beginning? That sourness or weird funky tastes resembles a sour apple. God only knows exactly what is wrong with that pipe, but I never reach for it and with each blend I put on it, that exact funky sour apple taste pops up. No exceptions to any blend.

So that is life for now, will I ever know the truth? Maybe when I grow a full beard.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah!

It could be as simple as some new pipes need a lot of fire and smoke through them before they smoke right for you. Some revel in the raw briar taste, others hate it, and many just put up with it till the pipe behaves!

Some report the pipe is "ready" out of the box, some say several dozen smokes. Of course, there are also a ton of variables to consider.....

Best of luck!

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
Does your pipe have a vulcanite stem? Did you leave it out in the sun?
You could be tasting sulphur.