PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I generally use a Zippo, w/the pipe insert, when outside and matches while inside. I have never charred a rim with either.

I know overpacking, where the tobacco goes above the rim, can cause charring, and certainly those torch lighters if not careful.

Reactions: 02Knight

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pretty sure you mean sooting or lava-ing or scorching. Charring is not superficial, and the damage to the briar is permanent.

Also a high pile of tobacco alone does not cause sooting, though it will make worse any poor lighting technique.

Reactions: 02Knight

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No, I’m comfortable with my use of the term, charring: chemical process of incomplete combustion of certain solids when subjected to high heat. Heat distillation removes water vapor and volatile organic compounds (syngas) from the matrix... but thanks ;)
Except here the key is the "incomplete combustion of certain solids" where the solid is the briar. Any actual combustion of the briar is rare, but terrible when it occurs.

Happy sooting! :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't treat my pipes with the intent to satisfy a collector of used pipes. For me they are for my enjoyment. They are tools I keep in excellent working order and, don't obsess over the cosmetics too much. I don't apply the flame to the wood/cob/meerschaum so charring really isn't a concern though. They do get dings and scratches. Hell I've even, over the years, broken a shank or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.