Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Probably not good for clenching.....
il_570xN.1464122031_q7ax.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why is it $51 when others of the same genre are $28 or so? I guess it is an especially good version of minimal carved wood pipe? I agree, some of this wood might be treated with preservatives that would create toxic fumes, so I'd be reluctant to buy, much less smoke this. But the idea is imaginative. I suggest you save your money, go for TAD.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
WE could start one of those crowd sourcing deals so Dave could own a couple of those beauties! Wonder what creosote tastes like?
Real q: what wood are these exquisite examples of carving?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The longer I smoke my pipes, the more attached to them that I grow. I admire them to the extent that they satisfy my pipe aesthetic but familiarity grown by many smokes makes this heart grow fonder, and thus I could argue for such love to also grow for this pipe. But ah! that presumes that I would buy it, which I would not.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Now with those screens and the shape, I have a feeling these are intended for another kind of smoking. Not that you can't smoke your favorite blends, but these were not made to be clenched in your teeth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It occurs to me that for fifty bucks, you can find many good pipes on sale or discount. I think the up-market Dr. Grabow Royaltons still sell for about $40, and those are some nice pipes. PC sells brushed black and brown Stanwells for $49, and recently on sale for $39, and MM sells its MM/Dagner poker with acrylic stem for $23, so you don't have to smoke a plank to save a buck.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
The River Red Gum grows to 45 metres (148 ft) as a tall, frequently straight tree, but can develop a more twisted habit in drier conditions.[3]. It has smooth bark to the smaller branches ranging in colour from white and grey to red-brown, frequently with loose basal slabs in the lower trunk, and which it sheds in large plates or flakes or short ribbons. [4] [5]
The tree has a large, dense crown of long and narrow adult leaves, lanceolate or infrequently falcate in shape, 5 to 30 centimetres (2.0 to 11.8 in) long by 0.7 to 3.2 centimetres (0.28 to 1.26 in) wide, and grey to grey-green on both surfaces. Side veins are prominent and usually at 45° to the leaf mid-rib, and oil glands are numerous and located separate to the veins. [4] [6] [3] [7] [8] [9]
Its inflorescences comprise umbels of 7 to 11 flower buds located at the junction of leaves and stem, with the buds being of ovoid or globular shape and 0.6 to 1.1 centimetres (0.24 to 0.43 in) long by 0.3 to 0.6 centimetres (0.12 to 0.24 in) wide. Buds are green to yellow or cream, and have a prominent tip beak. Flowers are white to cream, and have been recorded in bloom within the range from June through to March. The fruit (gum-nuts) are brown, hemispherical in shape, 0.2 to 0.5 centimetres (0.079 to 0.197 in) long by 0.4 to 1.0 centimetre (0.16 to 0.39 in) wide, with a highly raised end-disk and 3 to 5 valves strongly exserted.[4][6]
River reds and many other eucalypts have an ominous nickname, "widow maker", as they have a habit of dropping large boughs (often half the diameter of the trunk) without warning.[10] This form of self-pruning may be a means of saving water or simply a result of their brittle wood. This is also an efficient way of attracting wildlife that live in the holes formed, which gives the red gum a source of natural fertiliser[citation needed].

Status
Not open for further replies.