PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I've long understood that Yello-Bole was a sub-brand for Kaywoodie, reserved for briar which failed to meet Kaywoodie's high standards in the early 1930s. I also know that like Kaywoodies, the best briar was used in the 1930s 4-digit pipes. I came across this Yello-Bole 2109 and was impressed by its thick walls, substantial size, and grain. I'm smoking it for the first time after a light refurbishing and it not only smokes beautifully, but I'm quite impressed by the briar. I can find only a single, small, well-disguised fill. This is a "second"? I have 4-digit Kaywoodies that aren't this nice.
IMG_20181002_172648-X3.jpg

IMG_20181002_172708-X3.jpg

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

That's a nice looking Yello-Bole! It is hard to believe in instances like this that they were sub-brand. The nomenclature is great and I've always liked the yellow ring. Enjoy! :puffy:

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I have numerous Yello-bole's and they all have been the equivalent of Kaywoodies in regards to how they smoke. Exterior differences in some cases but where it counts they hit the spot.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Great pipe Craig. And that shine is fantastic. Did you buff that yourself?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Thanks Neal. I did buff it myself, but it was in pretty nice shape to start with. It previously belonged to the deceased former president of the Chicago Pipe Collectors Club, Mike Reschke, and he had a part-time business selling pipes on eBay, so the majority of them that I've bought were well cared for.
The one this pipe which might explain its Yello-Bole versus Kaywoodie stamp is the drilling. The draft hole is high, but maybe that's a product of decades of reaming.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In my 'umble opinion, that shows that different brands and series from different times target entirely different markets. In its time, it looks like that pipe competed with at least mid-price and maybe up-market pipes. It doesn't look like a second to me, or I'd be surprised if that was the way it was manufactured. The last Yello-Bole I bought is serviceable but a truly basic pipe, a Checker model billiard panel with a push bit. Can I assume that takes the Medico/Dr. Grabow 6 mm filter?

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Very nice grain. I guess even with seconds you get some bowls that get selected and are way better then thougth at first glance. I have a few Pipes that are Seconds myself and while you have the expected bunch of Pipes that have fills and rather bland grain, there always is the occasional jewel that could take any high grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.