PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
Just curious. Would storing unopened Tins & cans of paladin in a big plastic tote with locking lid (mostly airtight) in the basement be an acceptable method of storage?

As for bulk stuff. If I split it up and put it in foodsaver bags and run it through the vacuum sealer and put them in the tubs would that also be okay? Not worried about storage of opened stuff as obviously i plan to use whatever I open in a timely manner.

Reactions: coldbowl57
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I think the general consensus is Mylar or mason jars for any loose tobacco.

As far as actual storage location, whatever is the most stable environment wise. I keep mine in the basement now because its a more consistent environment temp and humidity wise than my living space which gets hot/humid in the summer and very dry in the winter. I don’t use much AC and winter is all wood stove so there are big swings.

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
I think the general consensus is Mylar or mason jars for any loose tobacco.

As far as actual storage location, whatever is the most stable environment wise. I keep mine in the basement now because its a more consistent environment temp and humidity wise than my living space which gets hot/humid in the summer and very dry in the winter. I don’t use much AC and winter is all wood stove so there are big swings.
Appreciate the reply. General consensus aside. Are you saying foodsaver bags vaccusealed wont work?

And as far as unopened stuff goes the tins and cans should last a good long while in a tote like that? Not worried about conditions the basement we have never really fluxuates temperature or humidity.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Appreciate the reply. General consensus aside. Are you saying foodsaver bags vaccusealed wont work?

And as far as unopened stuff goes the tins and cans should last a good long while in a tote like that? Not worried about conditions the basement we have never really fluxuates temperature or humidity.
55-75°f.
Humidity isn't going to be an issue with sealed packaging unless it's too high and makes your tins rust.
Sunlight should be avoided.
The plastic tote or a cardboard box in a stable environment will be the same as far as providing a container to house all your sealed tobacco.

Reactions: Brachra

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
My study's little warm due to lack of window coverings ( working on it). Usually, I keep tins as is. Bulk goes into mason jars. I'm not moving again, until they drag me into a nursing home.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Brachra

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
I was a little afraid of using jars. Especially after some canning issues in the past but I did some looking and I didnt realize it was as easy as buy jar. Pack with tobacco. Close. Thought I was gonna have to deal with vaccume sealing or boiling the bastards. Ill just use jars for anything not in a tin. Thank you all for your help!!!

Mar 1, 2014
Store your jars in an Ice Chest and if your environment has any mood swings it should keep the temperature reasonably moderated.
Coolers by nature are also better sealed than an ordinary tub.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Unopened? Does it really matter?

I had a bad experience with clear locking totes from Wallstore. They gave all the tobacco stored in them a strange fruity scent. I would stick with food safe plastic.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Mar 1, 2014
Also I've got most of my tins wrapped in layers of plastic wrap (crossing layer directions to make one seal on top of the other, usually bundles of three tins), again I don't expect an air tight seal but it's just enough to help regulate exposure to the environment.

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
Thank you all for the great advice!!

What about cans? Do cans (I.e.) prince albert...brgadier black...etc.. Count as "tins"? Unopened will they store well? Of course assuming conditions are maintained?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
As mentioned, jars and Mylar bags are the way to go for proper storage. The lids of plastic or rubber bins are generally not airtight, but they’re a great way to easily and neatly store your properly sealed jars, bags, and tins. I speak from experience that they float (the one relief at walking down into my flooded basement a few years ago was seeing my bins floating high and dry like so many Arks). The opaque bins do add the benefit of keeping jarred tobacco out of the light.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I store my unopened tins in these totes that are not sealed at all. I have 6 of these under my bed. My house stays at a constant 73-74. I also have a whole house dehumidifier that is part of the HVAC system. I have never had a tin fail on me. I also have tons of tins in my closet, night stands, in a built in thing that has all kinds of space that is in the living room.

Reactions: didimauw