Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
I have tilled 25 ft x 25 ft area foe a garden this spring.

2 rows will be dedicated to tobacco seeds. I have done this

in the 70's. turned out good on the growth but screwed up on drying.

One left was hung on the wall at Edwards in Tampa. this time i will

use a dehydrator to dry.

My only problem is which seeds to buy. I do know that one tobacco

strain does not make a refined smoke but going to stick with one type.

Not being cheap. Just doing it for having doing it. Also the have nice

flowers.

For your information the "wild weed' blends in well with a garden.

except for fly overs. Never done that when I was young. Now

I don't ride nothing I can't get off of when I want too.

Joe

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
I've thought about doing this someday, even if it's only a few plants in my back yard just to say I've done it. Best of luck to you, hobojoe!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Hard to say which one type would be the best. Guess it depends on what you like to smoke, but the one time I grew tobacco it didnt taste anything at all like a commercial blend. Didnt taste at all like anything I'd like to smoke either, but then I didnt take time to research curing and processing.

Good luck, it'll be fun anyway!

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I was thinking of growing some tabac this spring too.
I don't know where you're getting your seeds from, but this is the website I found.

http://www.thetobaccoseed.com/Pipe_Tobacco.html

I'm thinking of trying Black Sea Basma, a Turkish tobacco, and Stag Horn because it's supposed to be an easy, fast grower.

http://www.thetobaccoseed.com/Black_Sea_Basma3.html

http://www.thetobaccoseed.com/Stag_Horn3.html
I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do to cure the tabac. I've looked at some designs for smoke curing sheds but haven't seen anything appropriate for growing/curing on as small a scale as I need. My garden will be about the same size as yours with roughly the same percentage being tobacco, so I'll let you know what I find.
I did think of maybe using one of those smoker type barbeque grills, not sure what to burn though during curing. Mesquite chips might be interesting, :lol: but I would prefer something a bit more.. traditional.
If anyone has any info on how to cure aromatics I would appreciate it.
(EDIT TO ADD)

Do you compost? The nicotine level in your tobacco will depend largely on the Nitrogen content of the soil, so if you want higher nicotine in your tabac you should try to use compost or some type of nitrogen rich fertilizer.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Kf5eqv,

I will have to check out the site and PM you.

Picking up Horse M around end of Jan. Than I found Chicken M. at 8.00 for 50lbs wet or dry.

That will be tilled in in middle of Feb. Than dolomite because I used this site before.

From what I read you have to plant different types. Seeds $2.50 for 50 seeds

They also sell liquids to flavor.

Joe

key in seeds in forms search or tobacco seed not on home page.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
dsc01164-600x450.jpg
Good luck for the spring hobo. I have 50 or so plants in the ground at the moment. Some virginia, burley ,havanna and rustica. they are slowly making some head way. though the rustica is shooting ahead

danz

Lurker
Jan 11, 2012
New Zealand
^Those are nice looking plants.
This would be my second year growing tobacco mainly for my parents consumption as i have not found a way to make an enjoyable smoke for me. The variety is burly, and have been flue curing it for a few weeks then pressing into blocks to make flakes.
Planted around 100 last year, and same again this year. Still have a few pounds left of the first harvest, next season i will buy some better/different strains.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
i am planting just a few plants this spring, gonna start em in the house. My plan is to try smoke drying them in my smoker. Yrs ago i built a smoker out of an antique refridgerator and it works great for smoking shad, mackeral and ham. I think im gonna try smoke drying my baccy with apple sawdust and see what i git and another batch with strong hickory

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I live in tobacco country and my youth was filled with images of acreage filled with burley. Unfortunately it is no longer grown in the highlands of Virginia with any frequency, the warehouses are closed, the auctions no longer occur. My family owned several allotments in the Tennessee mountains, and from 1900, until the early 1980s grew a crop annually. If you have never experienced the way tobacco was cultivated, and harvested it is hard to explain how labor intensive it was. It was the lifeblood of a region, and now that culture is gone forever, killed by political correctness, and government programs to buy back the allotments.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Hurrumph, it's up to a $50,000.00 fine here if we try to grow normal, legal tobacco in our own garden from memory. Isn't that something, when the evil green whoopie weed leaf only brings a slap on the wrist and a $150.00 on the spot fine - Governments, what cockeyed, dumbass morons they truly are.

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
Good luck to you, I never thought of doing that. I doubt our weather could handle it here.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
lol altho its illegal to grow happy weed, its still a bare slap on wrist if for ur own use here. so common its almost legal. but to grow reg baccy is probably more of a fine hahahhah

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Getting ready to richen the soil. 200lbs of chicken manure. let rest for

till last of Feb. Than add dolomite to sweeten soil.

Yeap I have eaten Chicken S**t. That's what you do when you spread pulverised

manure. Before face masks where used .

The drying out part I haven't figured out which system to use yet.

Joe2shoes

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I am planning on clour curing mine in the shed. from there i am thinking of rolling up some ropes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sqhu11WjC4

plus making some flake out of the virginia

danz

Lurker
Jan 11, 2012
New Zealand
^Never seen that before, might try it when im feeling super motivated.
Was preparing another brick today and thought i would take a picture. Its not mold inside the bag, just condensation as it just came from the fridge... keep telling them it wont 'age' in the fridge but they are happy ;s
tfFTwl.jpg

havanarick

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
will also be planting tobacco this year. I have enough seeds to plant an acre, although i will only plant about 5-10 plants of various types.

danz

Lurker
Jan 11, 2012
New Zealand
I do, starter bed then into small jiffy/pb bags then into the ground. The seeds can take a few weeks to germinate and would be hard to keep the seeds constantly moist for that length of time in the field.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
We would use tarps on stakes to cover the seedlings in a small bed for a few weeks when they were first starting out. Had great success with this, and also kept deer etc off of the young plants.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I'm thinking about growing a few tobacco plants this spring. I have a large veggie garden but we are planning to expand the house this spring and I may loose 3 raised beds in the process? Also with a baby arriving in June the veggie garden may be neglected this year as it is?
I have been thinking of moving one raised bed to the front yard where there is better sun exposure? Heck why not grow it so every one can see? Not like teen agers are going to recognize tobacco plants? They would recognize the wacky variety for sure but tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.