Planning My Visit to Pfeifen Huber Pipe Shop

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I am fortunate enough to be taking a trip to Munich, Germany this Summer (all being well regarding you know what...) I typically plan out each trip with a list of pipe, cigar, coffee and wine shops i want to visit. I am avidly into the previous four! When starting my trip preparation i came across the name of a pipe shop called Pfeifen Huber. By the looks of things they aren't just your run of the mill pipe shop but infact a tobacconist with great history and reputation. Upon further inspection they make a vast array of their own blends, some of which sound and look fantastic.

I'am wonderying if anyone has visited this pipe shop before and if so what was there experience? Further if you have been fortunate enough to try some of their blends, which ones did you try and what were your thoughts on them?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Color me extremely jealous! Pfeifen Huber's Virginia Golden Flake is one of my favorite blends, a rich well balanced blend of Virginias, lightly topped with what I think is a honeydew topping. I'm sure others can inform you about their other blends.
Ditto!

You also should consider their Scottish Mixture. Makes all others seem average.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
I was checking (coincidence) a German pipe forum (based in Munich) with some glowing reviews for some of the Pfeifen Huber blends. They seem to have some top Virginia flakes that are worth trying! Of cause beware that aromatics are super popular in Germany, so there will be a lot of those as well. I did just put in an order for some Virginia ready rubbed, Virginia Golden Flake, Louisiana Flake and Virginia Flake. Otherwise: at least online they also stock some of the HU blends. With pipes it will be a bit less exciting (a lot of Vauen and not a huge selection as far as I can see. They do have some nice annual pipes made for them (I guess by Vauen) though. Enjoy Munich!

Color me extremely jealous! Pfeifen Huber's Virginia Golden Flake is one of my favorite blends, a rich well balanced blend of Virginias, lightly topped with what I think is a honeydew topping. I'm sure others can inform you about their other blends.

The Virginia Golden flake i have heard talk about and sounds great. I think it will 100% be on the list to taste!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
I was checking (coincidence) a German pipe forum (based in Munich) with some glowing reviews for some of the Pfeifen Huber blends. They seem to have some top Virginia flakes that are worth trying! Of cause beware that aromatics are super popular in Germany, so there will be a lot of those as well. I did just put in an order for some Virginia ready rubbed, Virginia Golden Flake, Louisiana Flake and Virginia Flake. Otherwise: at least online they also stock some of the HU blends. With pipes it will be a bit less exciting (a lot of Vauen and not a huge selection as far as I can see. They do have some nice annual pipes made for them (I guess by Vauen) though. Enjoy Munich!

Yeah i seen they have HU blends too! Sadly are not available in the UK but im thinking of ordering some so i can see what i like before i go. Yeah Virginia golden flake and Louisiana flake both sound great!

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Yeah i seen they have HU blends too! Sadly are not available in the UK but im thinking of ordering some so i can see what i like before i go. Yeah Virginia golden flake and Louisiana flake both sound great!
Be aware that as far as I can see Pfeifen Huber does not send tobacco outside Germany ("Bitte beachten Sie, dass der Versand ins Ausland von Tabakwaren und Zigarren aus tabaksteuerrechtlichen Gründen nicht möglich ist! ") Zahlungsarten - https://www.pfeifen-huber.de/zahlungsarten

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Be aware that as far as I can see Pfeifen Huber does not send tobacco outside Germany ("Bitte beachten Sie, dass der Versand ins Ausland von Tabakwaren und Zigarren aus tabaksteuerrechtlichen Gründen nicht möglich ist! ") Zahlungsarten - https://www.pfeifen-huber.de/zahlungsarten

Correct. VGF is a great tobacco, as Jesse & Jim say, but not easily obtained outside of Germany. The last time I bought some I had to ask a friend who lives in Munich to pick it up and mail it to the States for me.

You’ll enjoy Pfeifen Huber. It’s a very classy shop, rich in history, with many interesting blends and a variety of high end pipes (not just Vauen by any means). You should also check out W & R Diehl while in Munich. It’s a much smaller shop but still of interest. As I recall among many other blends they offer one called The Tiger that’s worth buying.

And of course Munich is much more than pipes and tobacco. It’s a world class city with a huge number of great restaurants, shopping, and things to do. I probably visited it fifty times and never tired of it.

Last edited:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I'am wonderying if anyone has visited this pipe shop before and if so what was there experience? Further if you have been fortunate enough to try some of their blends, which ones did you try and what were your thoughts on them?
It's a very classy place, the Golden Flake is indeed amazing. I've only tried the Louisiana Flake from their house catalogue but I find it to be a quite light VaPer, nothing special, despite saying it contains DFK.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
One more thought. If you’re into cigars at all the Partagas Serie P No. 2 (tubos) is a superb Cuban. It may be available elsewhere but I’ve only found it in Germany.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow. Better have a well thought out plan and a pre-decided budget. It sounds like infinite temptation. The pipe shop, maybe Munich in general.

swan

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
NYC
I am fortunate enough to be taking a trip to Munich, Germany this Summer (all being well regarding you know what...) I typically plan out each trip with a list of pipe, cigar, coffee and wine shops i want to visit. I am avidly into the previous four! When starting my trip preparation i came across the name of a pipe shop called Pfeifen Huber. By the looks of things they aren't just your run of the mill pipe shop but infact a tobacconist with great history and reputation. Upon further inspection they make a vast array of their own blends, some of which sound and look fantastic.

Coincidentally just today I published a small video of the tobacco shops of Munich on my small youtube channel if you want to have a look.

I love the city and went there multiple times, I also suggest checking Diehl even if Huber has more variety.
Their house tobaccos are just KK tobaccos rebranded, they are pretty much the same blends no matter what is the German tobacconist (with a few exceptions who produce by themselves such as TAK). Some are pretty nice anyway, I really like their flakes but they also make decent EM (if you like the way Germans make them) and a tons of Aros.

Their best blend however is very unique and a true jewel and that is the Epikur.
It is made for them by Samuel Gawith and it is essentially the Full Virginia Plug, so one of the best virginias on the planet.
It is a great tobacco, the only issue is that since Brexit happened nobody in Europe have been able to import tobacco from UK and therefore is currently not available.
But you will never know, maybe by the summer the situation is cleared and you will be able to find it.

Last but not least, in Germany you can order online so I would suggest ordering online from Motzek and get shipped to the place you are staying both their blends and any DTM you can find available :)

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Their best blend however is very unique and a true jewel and that is the Epikur.
It is made for them by Samuel Gawith and it is essentially the Full Virginia Plug, so one of the best virginias on the planet.
It is a great tobacco, the only issue is that since Brexit happened nobody in Europe have been able to import tobacco from UK and therefore is currently not available.
But you will never know, maybe by the summer the situation is cleared and you will be able to find it.
Yes, Epikur is terrific but alas a thing of the past. That may change in the future but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Here’s a pic if some purchases I made at Pfeifen Huber several years ago:

1641963711493.jpeg

Coincidentally just today I published a small video of the tobacco shops of Munich on my small youtube channel if you want to have a look.

I love the city and went there multiple times, I also suggest checking Diehl even if Huber has more variety.
Their house tobaccos are just KK tobaccos rebranded, they are pretty much the same blends no matter what is the German tobacconist (with a few exceptions who produce by themselves such as TAK). Some are pretty nice anyway, I really like their flakes but they also make decent EM (if you like the way Germans make them) and a tons of Aros.

Last but not least, in Germany you can order online so I would suggest ordering online from Motzek and get shipped to the place you are staying both their blends and any DTM you can find available :)
Thanks i just subbed to your channel and look forward to watching your video! If Epickue is like FVF plug i smoke that on a weekly basis so im sorted there lol! Thats a good point you make, i have heard geat things about Motzek too. Will need to take a look!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany

I live in Munich and have been to the shop. It's a nice place although not very large. When I went, which was several years ago now, it was to buy cigars. They seemed friendly, and the woman quickly switched to English when she heard my horrible German accent ?

I only started to smoke a pipe a couple of months ago, so I'm still a newbie. Last week I ordered a bunch of pipe tobacco from them, their own brand. I've only tried one so far, which is the Diablo Nero, and I really like it. I'm looking forward to trying the other 5 varieties that I bought. ?

I would definitely recommend that you stop in and get some of their tabak. I'm sure they'll give you some free samples to try, especially if you look like you're going to buy something.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany
Which pipe forum were looking at, if you don't mind me asking?