PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Got out of the house for the day away from everyone to a place even ATVs have difficulty getting to. Man do I love my Jeep!

Started with some C&D Pegasus courtesy of @BROBS in a cavalier by Sergey Senatorov and a glass of Cabernet:

IMG_20200328_151230449.jpg

The view:

IMG_20200328_172303975.jpg

Somewhere behind and below are the Colorado River and Pat Tillman memorial bridge:

IMG_20200328_174338013.jpg

Moved on to some GH-C American Delight in a Danish egg by carver/site member Doug Finlay @doug535 while someone enjoyed her cheese stick:

IMG_20200328_153014845_BURST001.jpg

Went for a walk and the desert is blooming:

IMG_20200328_161002197_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200328_160927314_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200328_160943286_HDR.jpg

Had some SG Cabbie's Mixture in a CAO meer:

IMG_20200328_170447664.jpg

Someone found a USGS survey marker:

IMG_20200328_174407940_HDR.jpg

After grilling some chicken I ended the day with some more GH&C American Delight in the Doug Finlay pipe with a glass of Port:

IMG_20200328_180742108.jpg

I've never considered dedicating a pipe to a type or blend but dang does this pipe make an aro sing! No dry time whatsoever but it still lit up easily and the draw was flawless. Easy to keep it just barely going which gave excellent flavor.

Home now, wife and daughter are out cold, and I'm sipping on some water with a great feeling of contentment.

I hope everyone else is having a great weekend too.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
A woodsy and mountain boy myself, but man that view is breathtaking!
I prefer trees myself but just getting out of the city helps keep me sane. I'm always surprised how many flowers are in the desert if you catch it at the right time.

A pic my buddy snapped showing the river and bridge if you look closely:

91463151_10212964418664960_7046925989858770944_o.jpg

We're going out again next weekend and I think I'm going to pick a pipe out of my collection to give him. I always take a pipe to loan him but it's time he has his own.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I prefer trees myself but just getting out of the city helps keep me sane. I'm always surprised how many flowers are in the desert if you catch it at the right time.

A pic my buddy snapped showing the river and bridge if you look closely:

View attachment 24314

We're going out again next weekend and I think I'm going to pick a pipe out of my collection to give him. I always take a pipe to loan him but it's time he has his own.
When I get some kids raised and have a bit more time and money, I've always wanted to see the desert. Maybe the Grand Canyon too.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The native Indians called it "mountains lying down.". Visitors from Brooklyn call it "A Huge Freakin Hole.". The Indians were more eloquent but the Brooklyners are more accurate. It's huge.
Being mostly Shawnee myself, I've always been awed and often chuckle at the natural eloquent simplicity of the native view of the world around them.?

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I always enjoy seeing members beyond the avatar. Lovely wife and beautiful daughter you have been blessed with. A woodsy and mountain boy myself, but man that view is breathtaking!
I agree. Nice to see you in person Shanez. Could be the start of a another “keeping it Smokey“ thread. Might have to go for a Lunt tomorrow.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Love this, and love the desert! I especially love how green everything is this type of year. The wildflowers in near Tucson are going nuts right now. The other day I spent the day in Aravaipa canyon and had a lovely bowl after my lunch.View attachment 24449View attachment 24452View attachment 24453
Love it! Somewhere I've got a book called "50 Day Trips With A Splash" that are off-road/hiking trails that end at water where you can swim. I need to find it as it will probably be what we do this summer.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Great photos. How long were you out there?? You smoked about two days worth of tobacco. Glad you like the Doug Finlay pipes. They are really fine smokes.
We were out for about 7 hours. I was only loading half bowls since I couldn't sit down and just smoke (had to take care of the little one) plus it was rather windy and they burned a little faster than expected.

I keep my eye on Doug's website watching for another pipe to get from him. There are a couple I really liked but were sold. Sooner or later though...

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bowie
Great pics!! Mrs Cosmic and I have been taking drives out into the farmlands around here. I am kinda of an agriculture nerd. would usually drive around and visit all of the Co-ops in our area or stop and talk to the local farmers, but we avoided all peoples on these recent trips. Planting and harvest times our the most exciting times, ha ha. We would normally be getting out to the mountains for a week long campout this time of year, but sharing bathrooms at campgrounds with strangers has us a little reluctant this year.

Sounds like you had a great day! Thanks for sharing. It was also nice to put a face to a name.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
shanez, I didn't recognize you out of your suit and tie (avatar). Great little family and some beautiful photos! Ah, now that's social distancing anyone can love.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Nice pics! Amazing spot. I have a lifted 02 Tacoma and hit the Sierra and desert regularly, but right now I've been advised not to put myself in any situation where rescue/medical personnel might have to direct their attention to me rather than COVID-19.

I'm not judging you personally, as you may have been completely ready for any/everything and would not have needed to call for help. Just something to think about for anyone who is inspired to go out and do the same.

I was actually supposed to be returning from a trip to the Death Valley area today, but we cancelled it as it's a 6.5 hour drive to get there. Also my friends in Bishop, CA said it's absolutely frowned upon to go do vacation stuff in their remote area right now because their hospital/facilities are so limited. Only 4 ICU beds or whatever, etc.

Congrats on getting out there, hope I'm not ruffling any feathers here, just something to consider.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and shanez

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
The trails we're going down don't really have any rescue/emergency factor. They are Class II at most (sometimes there's short 20-ish yard stretches of Class III) which is a walk in the park for a Rubicon. We don't have to use 4Hi for much of the trails and only on short stretches do we use 4Lo and even then that's just to keep from scraping on the rocks. I can't remember the last time I had to lock my axles. Plus we go in a pair and we both have winches.

I'm far more worried and much, much more likely to have an issue in town than on the trail. If a trail is real difficult with a high degree of technicality I won't even attempt it with my daughter along for the ride.

Trail Ratings

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Shanez, love the pictures and hats off to you for taking the family along. The pictures brought back many memories of off roading in the canyons and mesas of the four corners in my CJ-5 back in the seventies.
I'd have to say you have your priorities in good order; family, the outdoors, and of course a trusty Jeep.
Well done.

Reactions: Bowie and shanez