PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Everybody's got at least a few. Here's a place to air it out! Keep it pipe related, please!
I'll start with a couple minor ones that just dig at me.
People pronouncing Lovat "Low-Vot" instead of "Luv-It".
Another is when folks say "Ho-Garth" instead of "Ha-Girth" (or "Hog-Erth"?.

What irks you the most in the wide world of piping?

Reactions: upnorth1

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Everybody's got at least a few. Here's a place to air it out! Keep it pipe related, please!
I'll start with a couple minor ones that just dig at me.
People pronouncing Lovat "Low-Vot" instead of "Luv-It".
Another is when folks say "Ho-Garth" instead of "Ha-Girth" (or "Hog-Erth"?.

What irks you the most in the wide world of piping?
haha that's how I say both

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Heavens I could name so many. The use of the phrase 'Lunting' always makes me chuckle since it should similar to 'Punting' which is a slang term from where I came from for a lady of easy virtue. The extreme seriousness of people who are forever telling me about the deep nuances of the tobacco. Its something you set on fire and then stick in your mouth. Not being a particularly sophisticated smoker all I ask is that the tobacco delivers the maximum amount of sublingual nicotine commensurate with the size of my cravings. Don't even get me started on those Falcon pipes smoked by people wearing socks and sandals whilst on holiday in Blackpool with their inevitable wife whose name is usually Doris!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think it might be the other way around. ;)
Piping on clothing was originally to reinforce the high stress areas (seams).

I believe the cake decoration is named after this practice. It’s called piping because the fabric is made into a pipe along the bias line. (Strongest angle)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think it might be the other way around. ;)
Piping on clothing was originally to reinforce the high stress areas (seams).

I believe the cake decoration is named after this practice. It’s called piping because the fabric is made into a pipe along the bias line. (Strongest angle)
Looks like cake piping originated in the 17th century while clothing piping was in the 19th. One named for the application technique, the other for the shape. Very interesting read on both.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9