Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I have 3 I haven't seen in years."
Clearly then you don't have them :rofl:
I've never actually broken a pipe but I have broken a stem by tugging out a jammed pipe cleaner with my Leatherman as was reported on the forum a while ago. It is all boxed up and ready to go to Georged for his magic treatment.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This classic is worth full size.......
img_16461.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I sent that particular pipe to Peterson's, partially hoping they'd replace it, but really to figure out how such a tectonic event could have happened spontaneously. Probably just a grain of sand that expanded They never did send a replacement, however.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Been there and more than twice, clumsy that I'm,I have dropped on the floor few ones,causing >broken stems or as it was recently with my $ 90 Peterson Shannon 407 prince (reference to Mso 489 post )knocked off the rack and result was a thin hair crack on the shank(again due to -did superclue job on this and the result was something satisfactory although frankly it deserves to be properly banded,but again if doubt if its worthwhile spending another $ on this medium price piece,

aussiemike

Lurker
Oct 6, 2017
My condolences mayfair, I feel your pain. I was having a happy few hours of amateur restoration with a cane meerschaum pipe. Delicately sanding and pollishing someone elses repair for hours and it was looking pretty good till I screwed the shaft in too far. agggghh sorry If I offend anyone but I can only liken it to slamming my wee wee in a car door !!!! so upset

img_18541-450x600.jpg

img_1861-600x450.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That's really a bummer. What can we learn?

That meer has a pocket in the wall!

The color is coming from the outside, not from 'breathing through the walls'. hmmn.

Everyone doesn't have a drawer full of broken stems and bowls?

Ha ha, I just have maybe three briars and a shattered meer from thermal shock. I don't think the meer was from a block. I've stepped on one, my wife stepped on another, and one was a tractor fatality. I did have a Mark Tinsky bulldog that just fell apart after the first smoke on my way home with it from The Briary. It was an epic post, with Mark Tinsky being a dick. He wanted to give me a discount on another pipe instead of fixing the one that broke. He accused me of doing something to cause the break. It had just fell apart on its own. I told him that I was willing to pay for the repair, even thought it was the result of his poor engineering (as per Skip's assessment). He ended up doing the repair, but he ground his name off of the pipe. I never spoke directly to Mark, so it was via Skip, so I cannot know what was really communicated, but I don't/won't own any more Tinskys. FWIW, the repaired Tinsky is one of my favorites to smoke, even if the nomenclature was scrubbed, ha ha.

aussiemike

Lurker
Oct 6, 2017
Thanks newbroom, I didnt even notice that, probably cause my bottom lip was quivering and eyes were full of tears lol Cheers Mate ;)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ahhh I almost forgot my Dr Grabow Duke. I was in the jeep, puffing away on some Prince Albert, When I noticed my hand was getting wet. I smoked it so hot, a huge crack appeared in the shank, and was making tobacco juice all over. I filled it with pipe cake, and smoked it for a couple months until I finally retired it.

20160406_035728.jpg

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I cracked the shank on my Vauen Nobile churchwarden when I put a plastic 9mm spacer in to replace the filters. I put the stem back in and it must've been just a smidge wider than the filters. Such a bummer, because it was one of my nicer pipes.
I've also snapped the tenons on two different pipes because of dropping them... thankfully those were easy fixes for Chuck at my local pipe club.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Just the other day I knocked a pipe against the palm of my hand and the shank broke. It was my first commissioned pipe. Don’t believe it had anything to do with workmanship so not mentioning any names.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I started smoking a pipe in college in the 60's. I spent way too much time in the lounge playing pool. The first time I leaned against the pool table to make a shot and heard a "snap" I attributed it to bad luck. The second time I said WTF. By the fourth one I finally realized that I was just too stupid to go to college.

Status
Not open for further replies.