PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
In my occasional experiance of restoring estate pipes I run across cases of extreme bowl occlusion. I think this is one of the worst! Why wouldn't any reasonable pipe smoker take a few minutes every now and then to do some routine maintenance? In this condition the pipe couldn't have provided much of a smoke.
somLLS0.jpg

I thought of using dynamite but my reaming tools did the job:
gZ4cJ3g.jpg

The pipe is stamped "Kilroy" and "Imported Briar" I've seen a few others around for sale but I couldn't find out who made them. It seems to be a nice quality working man's pipe.
K8EmXaF.jpg

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

That pipe thanks you. No good deed goes unrecognized, and I hope this pipe realizes this notion by rewarding you with some great smokes. A job well done!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Nice job ridding that bowl of the plaque haha. I know a gentleman with Asperger Syndrome who smokes Lane BCA and his bowl gets like that every three days or so from his peculiar smoking style. I'm the guy who will ream it for him to get it smoking again, and there is always a puddle-pocket of moist, fermenting aromatic tobacco goop hiding in the very bottom layer of the bowl. The smell of that will stay on your fingers all day. YUCK! Haha

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Yikes! Hope its not contagious. Great job on cleaning that up.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Great job ! Been hunting for a similar one to test my skills on ! Everybody, keep me in mind ! ;-)

Yep, Uncle Leon would smoke a single pipe till it caked up, and tossed it. Most guys back in the day did this also. They would either carve a new one while smoking the current one, or just pick up a cheap dime store Dr. Grabow back in the day and repeat the process. I don't think I ever even saw a pipecleaner till I saw them in an art class. And, even then I didn't associate them with pipes, and I was surrounded by pipe smokers and tobacco farmers. I think that not only was heavy cake manly, but smoking a pipe to death was also. "Yap, just tossed it in the fireplace." This is country folk, not Dunhill and tinned tobacco folks.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Wow. I think that one takes the record for the most caked up I have ever seen! Obviously the guy started out in life an English smoker whose tastes had evolved toward VaPer flakes needing a taller, narrower bowl! 8O
But this seems to fly in the face of the claim that cake will expand and crack a pipe. If that pipe could take all of that, I will never worry about the little in mine.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Ha we'd all be perseverating over if they changed the formula on our otc since a tub was lasting so long all the sudden

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
You are right, a little Lat can go a long way. The stuff grows on you over time. One blend I love surprisingly is 50% Latakia! Depends on the Lat., desired effect and what it is mixed with. It is its own dimension in smoking pleasure and I keep many ounces on hand just to add into other blends when I feel they need a little lift! But I didn't like it either when I first tried it.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I did see one a couple years ago on here, the pipe was so caked he said he couldn't even get a pencil down inside! Definitely up there tho as far as heavy caking goes. I bet it smokes like a champ, that pipe is inundated with tobacco and will smoke like a dream. Ally best smokers were smoked a lot before I got them.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Here is a picture of a 1940s Dunhill Bruyere I picked up. My first estate pipe purchase, in fact...

It's fascinating to me the many different ways people smoke. I myself am a flavor seeker, finding enjoyment in tasting all there is to taste in every leaf, finding the ideal cut and or pack of each tobacco, etc. Sometimes I am jealous of those who can just fill their bowl and puff away, although I have found my blends that I can enjoy in that manner. A piece of root, some rubber or plastic, and a pinch of dried leaves, amazing variation!

Status
Not open for further replies.