PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Recently I had Steve Fallon, AKA The Pipestud, sell a bunch of tobacco for me. He got about 60% through and then he had to cease operations. The State of Texas ordered him to cease the sale of tobacco products out of his home immediately. Apparently it is against Texas state law to sell tobacco out of a residence. Steve is in the process of getting some commercial property so that he can open up again. So he'll be down for about a month. Fortunately they didn't fine him and/or confiscate any tobacco he hasn't sold yet.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
That is insane. He’s such a nice guy. But then again, Texas does have some interesting laws from what I hear: Such as car dealerships only being able to operate one day per weekend. I wish him the best, and I hope it won’t cost him too much to get some commercial property or move onto some commercial property.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I don't doubt that this law had some reasonable purpose when it was created. Maybe people selling cigarettes out of their back room is a bad idea. Clearly though, an internet business selling rare and aged pipe tobacco is not any threat to anyone's health or safety. I'd be willing to bet this law did not consider online as opposed to in person business.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
That is insane. He’s such a nice guy. But then again, Texas does have some interesting laws from what I hear: Such as car dealerships only being able to operate one day per weekend. I wish him the best, and I hope it won’t cost him too much to get some commercial property or move onto some commercial property.
Originally created to pacify the churches that were complaining about the loss of Blue Laws and the need to recognize the Sabbath day as holy.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Gang, and thank you so much for the support. But it's actually going to be a good thing in the long run because I had actually been contemplating expansion for the last several months. And truly, the investigator who contacted me from the state comptroller's office was very nice as was the compliance officer who talked me through the process of what needed be done to get my business back into compliance. And this does not affect my eBay sales since I am only selling pipes on that site.

Just yesterday, I sent out a group email to those who are currently consigning with me and it explains what exactly went down and what we're going to do to get the website back up and running as quickly as possible. I cut/pasted that letter below. And again, this will actually be BETTER for me and my business... well, just as long as I stay out of jail. (-;

Dear Consignors,

I hope all of you can tell from my website and my blogs, that I absolutely love what I do. Working with like minded pipe and tobacco enthusiasts has enriched my life well beyond what I deserve. It was less than two years ago that I expanded my operation through the new and improved website - all thanks to my customers, my consignors, and to webmaster Andrew Wohlmuth, who painstakingly put the new site together for me - and now, I am going to expand my operation even further in ways that will benefit all of us.

While contemplating the future growth of Pipestud's Consignment Shop, I was actually forced into making my decision sooner than expected. An official with the State of Texas Comptrollers Office recently informed me that any licensed tobacco retailer residing in this state, cannot operate a business that sells tobacco products of any kind from their home property, whether it be in person or selling online. Such a business can only operate from a commercially zoned building. That's Texas law and it has forced me to temporarily cease selling pipe tobacco until my operation moves to its new location and receives certification from the Texas Comptrollers Office. All of this will take some time.

I know that this news is not pleasant for you because you have sent me your pipe tobacco to sell on consignment and have entrusted me to disperse of your inventory in as timely a fashion as possible. But now, with the state mandated order to cease sales until I make the move to my new location and receive certification, there will be a delay - I estimate that it could be as much as a month.

For some of you, I have already been selling your inventory. For others, you have been patiently waiting in line until your turn came up. I also understand that with the COVID-19 disaster, some of you were depending on extra income to help you get past lost wages until you are able to get back to work. And I promise you that I am working to make the move as quickly as possible so that my website can be up and running again as quickly as possible.

For those of you who decide that you want your inventory returned so that you can pursue other avenues to sell your tobacco, I totally understand and will ship that inventory back to you quickly by USPS Priority Mail and I will certainly cover all shipping fees.

For those of you who prefer to keep your inventory with me to sell as quickly as possible once I am up and running again, please know that your tobacco will continue to be safe and secure and your inventory will be my first priority once I resume operations.

Finally, I do want to apologize to all of you for this delay. Tobacco laws are becoming more and more frustrating for all of us. Why storing and selling pipe tobacco online requires it being done from only a commercial location is beyond my comprehension. But then, so are many of the other smoking laws that we have had to endure in recent years. I am determined to turn this into a positive and am already looking forward to yet another expansion of my business and a special thanks to all of you for your support!​

Stay well and safe,

Steve​