PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
"The top pic looks too much like a nut sack."
This one, also from Dasha Florov, also reminds me of something...I can't quite put my finger on in tho:

002-797-00149003.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I am fortunate to own some lovely and rare pipes from makers all over this blue marble. Owning an original Sixten Ivarsson that smokes like a dream, it's a gnarly Prince bowl with bamboo shank. I own several father/son, father/daughter and grandfather/son/grandson Pipes but the one I probably would most love to have is by Nanna Ivarsson, I don’t own one by her father Lars but being a realist not many come up for sale and I would have to part with a chunk of my collection to procure one, I just don’t see it happening so I’ll gladly smoke my Sixten and dream, cheers.

banjo
22015d4c51eb2bd1de503dfd8f727b05001b4c8.jpeg

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
A keiichi gotoh, a tokutomi, a jorn micke and a Lars Ivarsson... that would complete my aspirational collection.
I have never seen a gotoh, seen a micke once in 3 years, lost 5 or so auctions each for a tokutomi and Lars . it may take a decade plus to find and afford

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would have liked to buy Todd's nautical shell pipe. That just blew me away how he was able to make that a functioning pipe.
My white whale pipe right now is a dark stain suede blast Lovat with white stem from Walt Cannoy. I've seen a few of them in my time, but haven't seen one for sale in quite some time.
Have to mention, I personally have found the $300-$450 pipes I've recently purchased do smoke considerably better than my $100 Petersons or Savinellis.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe unfortunately I seem to be contented with pipes well within reach of my budget, though I have some fine up-market pipes too. If I were a Dunhill guy, I guess I'd go for a medium or smaller, group 3, prince. I wouldn't mind a smaller, lighter weight Castello, beautiful pipes, but the ones sold in the U.S. seem to be the 2 ounces and up weight class. I like the less eccentric Ser Jacopo, and I have one of those. Wish I'd bought another Bob Hayes or two while he was alive. I like some of the smaller Tinsky pipes. And some of the Forums carvers do beautiful work. I really savor my Jerry Perry pipes in both Mountain Laurel and briar, and one in Cocobolo; he's just a unique pipe carver, somewhere between mountain man and a Japanese aesthetic of chance and asymmetry. I like to discover the worth of a pipe and not just invest in a pre-ordained masterwork, whether I've spent a lot (to me) or a little. Nording always gives every nickels worth at any price level -- first it's just a nice practical fact, and after a few of his pipes, it's kind of spooky, the pipe warlock.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
This is a question without much challenge what with the condition of $ being no limitation. For me this is simple, I would buy 7 day sets from Sixten Ivarsson and Jess Chonowitsch. Big bucks, no whammies, just Danish legends.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'd spend the required moneys to purchase a couple of pipes with the correct provenance. The first would be a pipe owned by Clemens, the other would be a pipe owned by John Ford. I'm not a collector by any stretch but, I would find them interesting and satisfying to own.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I don't think there's one in the thread I wouldn't take, ball sack or not. I have a nut sack, last time I checked so it's only fair my pipe have one.

Anyway that three filter Bavarian inspired vauen has been an object of preoccupation since I first saw it. All the Vauen novelties are beauties, even tho they are German, hee..

Status
Not open for further replies.